1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bison Forms

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by JSeiler, Dec 17, 2012.

1. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

Is their a particular sculptor/ form you guys prefer over another? I am getting ready to mount my first Bison for a showroom piece that I want to put on a pedestal and open his mouth slightly. What are some key points that I need to keep a close eye on when it comes to these big guys?

The big question I have do the horns need to be removed on bison? I have done sheep and pronghorn before were as you need to remove the sheath and clean them out. But I noticed that on bison the horns seam to be hollow anyway. So I am a summing that all I need to do is after cutting the horns off just need to clean the inside of the horn really well, fill with some bondo and mount them up?

2. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

The horns need to be removed from the cores just like sheep or pronghorn. As far as sculptor, it really is a matter of preference and sizes available.

3. squid

squid hunt hard or go home

tom weikum forms are great and he has a sharp right or left turn bellowing very nice form.

4. bowmantax

bowmantax New Member

I made this one out of a Tom Weicum form. Largest one he makes. At that time, it was only offered in a straight, but now you can get it in a turn. It was just a shoulder mount, so I turned it and added foam to sculpt the back to make a pedistal. His are the only forms I use. They fit great and the horn cores are molded in so after you remove the sheaths and clean them you can bondo them right onto the form. Good luck and post pics when done.

[​IMG]

5. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Beautiful mount, and a great presentation! Love the pedestal work. Well done!!!

6. Very nice!!! I want one. I've got a beautiful 45-70 Sharps replica that my wife won at an RMEF banquet that sits in my gun safe and is as of yet unfired. I think I need to put it to use soon.

Merry Christmas all...

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

great mount and attention to detail

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

Tom has some really nice forms, and yes, you remove the horns from the cores, clean, and re-attach.