1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shedding has started. 12/15/2012

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by antlerman, Dec 17, 2012.

1. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

2 year old buck that scores over 200" shed his rack Sat. Morning. As soon as I can get up to the farm and get them, I'll post pictures. Now watch how many idiots will shoot "does". :'(

2. ra8point

ra8point Member

Just curious,
    Would you know if deer from the wild shed around the same time as farm raised deer? I read about moon phases, cold temperatures, breeding activity as well as nutrition playing a part.

3. antlerman

Yes, those factors do all play a part, as does stress.

This buck was with 7 does during the breeding season. Once his job was done, his testosterone levels dropped, as does his stress and activity. Temps here are warm and nutrition is plentiful. Moon phases have more effect on does imo in that length of daylight and temps are what causes their estrous cycles to begin. Those cycles will continue until bred, which kicks the bucks into gear. BUT, all in all, it's all a cycled pattern. Bucks get jizzy for the same reasons and can be patterned as well. Also correlates to antler growth periods and shedding time frames. Isn't nature awesome.

Is there a difference in fenced deer verses wild deer in regards to this? NO. It's an individual and environmental thing regardless of which side of the fence you're on.

But remember.... Global warming too. LOL

4. One of my customers said his brother had seen one that lost it's antlers last week.

5. Mason

Mason Active Member

Had a boy here the last day of PA gun season shot a buck that had shed one side.
    When he went to lift the deers head with the other, it shed. That was a little over a week ago. I've started looking ;D

6. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Cant wait to see it....but dont ya mean a 197..... ;D

7. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    Oh, i thought this thread was about middle age balding.....lol

8. The guy I was hunting with in Iowa shot a 145 10 pt and when it hit the ground its antlers popped off. That was on Dec 1. So now I have a seamless buck to mount for competition. ;D

Bruce

9. roonie

roonie Member

up here in Saskatchewan, Canada, they have begun to drop as well. Earliest ive ever seen! We are having a tough winter so maybe that is why. Went to put the trail cam out the other day and a drift of snow next to the tree line was 8 inches past my waistline. You guys all know what snow is ....eh

10. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I'm the same way! ;D

But whats wierd is our rut has not even started yet. Hunting doesn't get serious here till after Chistmas! Antlers usually drop in March or April!

11. antlerman

guess your cycle runs a little late!! Baaahaahha :)