1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Low Ballers ruining the industry!!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by killitnfillit, Dec 20, 2012.

1. How can we compete with the low ballers in taxidermy? Here is a reason I post this. Check out these prices in an area where the average price of a w/t shoulder mount is $450 to $550. www.smackstaxidermy.webs.com. If this is a realistic price please let me know. I know he actually dropped his price to 300 this year somehow. How can we compete with this crap? I will never sacrifice my quality for cost ever. Do you know ANYBODY that will do an open mouth any species for $30? A bear mouth insert alone at the cheapest is over $50. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!!! Rick

2. Why would you care what someone else is charging??? There are many more important things to stress over than wasting your time about someones taxidermy pricelist.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

There are no pictures of his work. I wonder why.

4. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

wow his price list is all over the place, he sure values his comments thats for sure. also his rug prices don't include heads all rugs have flat heads, not sure I would want a rug with no head done. it's clear to me that with a web page like this. his work would be the same. no threat here. in fact you will be twice as busy next year after the word of his work gets out.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Actually, I love them. I keep their business cards near my phone. When I get someone who tells me I charge too much, I just give them their phone number. If his work is any good, he'll be covered up in deer and it will take 2 or 3 years for him to recover. If he's NOT, then the guy complaining about my price will get a quick lesson as to why. This year I actually had a guy come in who I'd given a phone number complaining to me that I'd given him the number. I asked why and he said the guy's work looke like @#%$. I asked him what he'd expected. He left his deer here this year and he never asked how much it was going to cost. I handed him his receipt and he didn't even look at it. Works for me.

6. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Exactly

7. nickstax

nickstax New Member

hey George we agree 100% on something. i also give the ph. # out of the cheaper taxidermists in the area. you get what you pay for.

8. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

That's hilarious George...I guess in this case stupid did hurt.

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

It's easy to compete with, you get a client base that is not looking for price, they are looking for quality.

You are looking at the wrong customer to attract. I'm being dead serious when I say this.....if I had to 'compete' for that type of client I would quit this business.

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Well said guys.

11. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

This sums it up perfectly.

12. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Lowballers are not killing the industry, just themselves. Taxidermy can be difficult, and dealing with the public can be taxing on the nerves. The Lowballer is a magnet for "cheap' customers who will be the most likely to call often and then not show up when the mount is completed. Lowballer's poor business skills keep them working 80 hour weeks for $7 per hour. ( It doesn't matter how long you work if you can't get anything accomplished) That's why so many of them burn out, disappear with the deposit money, and move to the next county. Like George Roof says, " you can't fix stupidity"

I'd rather have a $12 per hour job shoveling manure. At least your resposibility would end when you punched the clock.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

He will have a clientele, but lose them when the next guy charging even less than he, will win them over for being $10 cheaper. But guessing from the flat head rugs, this quack has had zero training and will not please very many customers. He will have a ton of one time customers.

14. Paul C

Paul C New Member

I started doing that this year George (at the suggestion of my marketing advisor Christie ;D ). It works like a charm!

To the OP----you really should consider taking some business courses---it will help your business and overall outlook immensely! Did I mention that my wife, Christie Mahany, teaches one on one TAXIDERMY Business and Marketing? :D

15. Instructor

Instructor Member

Very well said ,George, Rick, and Michael P.!!!
    Very few know how to figure a gross or net profit!

16. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

I have been doing this for 45 or 50 years and the low ballers have always been around. One of the problems is no standards and the customers will spend countlass dollars to turn something into dead meat and then scum bag the cost of their taxidermy. The wife's don't want "this stuff in their house" as a Doctors wife told me as he picked up his Deer and Caribou. At some point the local work gets subdived up to infinity so that no one makes a living wage out of this. The only difference is the supply company's sell the same amount of supplies.
    I have 45/50 years of stories about this business you wouldn't believe. They are so bazaar that you couldn't make them up if you tried.
    Reality is far more bazaar then fiction.
    Merry Christmas to all , and thank you all for the birthday wishes, much appreciated.

17. joeym

I like it when they get stumped and call me for advice. I tell them I'm not running a school, and only offer training to my sons.

18. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

No pics of his work in the gallery at all, advertisements on the site, yikes!

19. joeym

Pretty much proof that the guy has never mounted anything but a couple of crappy looking deer heads.

20. Trotax

Trotax Member

. X2