1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

This ain't never happened before

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DEERMEISTER, Dec 26, 2012.

1. at least to me. Taxidermist about 150 miles away brought me his deer to mount for him. Said he does about 50 a year but wanted his personal best deer, mounted by me! I took it as a very nice complement but still wonder whats going on? I charge $75 more for heads than him but he said that was fine, asked if $200 was enough deposit and he wanted a Coombs wall ped. and no hurry. I had never met the guy or heard of him before. Hmmmm???

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

sounds to me like he is going to use your mount as his new display in his showroom!!!

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I am not happy with my own mounts, I like my customer deer, but I hate my deer that I mount. I can think of a half dozen guys that i would love to mount a personal deer for me.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

What Museum man said or he needs a finished mount to see where he's at with his skills or he just thinks your work is great and wants a quality job, who knows.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

X2 Couldn't agree more. I hate my work on my deer. Richard Christoforo mounted my best Canadian deer and if I kill one bigger than my 166, I'm calling either Bill Yox or Rick Carter on it.

6. batshouse

batshouse Member

My money has it on that he has never mounted a pedestal mount.

7. striker12

striker12 Member

I have two mounted by two different taxidermist with in 50 miles of me. Its a good way to see how your work holds up to others. You can learn A lot by looking at others work. And they don't mind as long as you are paying for it

8. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I have a fish at a friends house he is doing for me. The entire time from when I told him he was doing it, to the time I placed it in his freezer he was questioning it the entire time.

I look at his work , and love it . I love the art, the time, and the skill involved . I will have a fish by Rick Krane on my wall, as well as a select few others . Its no different than buying pictures or other material things to put on your walls.

I think its the utmost sign of respect and honor for someone else thats in our trade to ask for work to be displayed in a personal collection .

Jimmy

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

And then again, he might use yours as a bad example to show his customers how much better his is, ;-)

10. I agree with this. I have a very hard time mounting my own stuff. It usually sits for several years before I can get motivated to do it and then Im never happy once it's done. My next deer will be going over to Eddie B. or Ben in Ms. Maybe Im just weird, but I like having other guys mount my personal deer.

11. dihard

dihard aim small miss small

LOL

12. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Pay a visit to his shop. Try to emulate his work as closely as you can. If he does the ears too low, mount 'em too low. If his nose is all shrunk and looks like a cancerous raspberry, by all means copy it.

He will have no right to bitch.

LOL!...naw...just do the absolute BEST job. Even go above and beyond. I'd take it as an honor.

13. DL

DL Well-Known Member

We are all aware of our own short comings and that's all we see when we look at our own mounts. At least I do.

14. I hope to get to the point where I really don't mount anything of my own, unless it is for the business show room or a show piece. Mounting my own stuff is work, and when it is done I know where all the little flaws are. Those flaws are what catch my eye first. I would love to have my own game room with work from many different taxidermists. I don't think I could catch enough fish to have one for each of the fish heads I'd like a mount from. I want to start writing names, but don't want to forget anyone, and don't want my post to take up a couple pages. It might never be more than a dream, but I think it would be awesome to be standing in an empty shell of a room with half a dozen of what I consider the best taxidermists, planning/constructing my own game room.

15. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I have had it happen on at least 2 occasions. Take it as you will, just do a good job on it, get paid and move on. The worst that could happen is you build a good relationship with the guy. Just kidding of coarse. I have work from 4 or 5 other guys hanging in my house. I am a fan of good taxidermy, if I do it or someone else does it.

16. zubba

zubba Active Member

Re: Re: This ain't never happened before

I should have your fish done shortly Jimmy. :))

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

17. I was expecting that comment! I would have been disapointed if someone had not said it!! ;D ;D

18. I can certainly understand that thinking, but I ain't got Rick or Bill's talent!

I probably shouldn't tell this story but I think I will. Back in the 70's I caught a 26" Brown trout at the Miracle Mile on the Platte river, Wyoming. I had Jim Hall to mount my fish and was excited to have someone of his stature do some taxidermy for me although his prices were high for the time. Over 2 years later I get back my brown.....it was painted like a rainbow!!!! Bright red stripe and all!!! I know it was the same fish cause it had a weird dorsal fin. I relooked at my pics and yep it was an obvious brown trout. What happened I'll never know, I didn't say anything when I picked it up. I waited till I got home to recheck the pictures, never called him to complain. I still have the fish and smile everytime I look at it!!

19. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

x2

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

( if I were you, I'd contract that out to a world ribbon guy, LOL, you just never know) LOL