1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Clean deer cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Big Mike, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Big Mike

Big Mike Member

Ok I have a question. how do you make a deer look so clean and well groomed?

I've seen some pictures and the skins look unflawed. the hair is picture perfect.

Thanks
    Mike

2. batshouse

batshouse Member

The skin usually comes clean during the tanning process. Obviosly if large clots are seen try and wipe off. As for picturesque-flawless capes....well that is due to the quality of the artist. Some guys don't take the time to adjust and brush mounts as they dry....some guys go the extra mile....Its all in what you wanna pay for.

3. Usually depends on where they come from....they have slightly different colors and hair lengths.....The ones I think you are talking about are medium length and short hair...they have a nice neat look. The long hairs look a little more shaggy. Grooming is also important however some just look better than others. It also depends on the quality of the cape. A deers hair changes color as it goes along the shaft and as they overlap you see all of the same portion of the hair shaft and gives it a nice look. If portions of hair are missing you won't get this overlap and it makes it look splotchy, tic damage, scars, scabs etc. This is exactly what people are talking about when they ask if it is a competition quality cape, even though some people continue to insist that there is not such thing as a competition quality it is all in how you mount it, but a good cape is always going to make the mount look better than one that is not with the same quality craftsmanship.

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

A good tannery will be the start of that foundation. A clean cape makes a world of difference.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike Member

Thanks for the info. I guess what im asking is there are some capes i have seen that look nice and smooth.
    I was not sure if it was from the mounting or what. I have been doing taxidermy for 17 yrs and worked witht the same tannery for that long and very few have looked like some in the pictures, just wondered if there was a trick or tip to do so.

Mike

6. jorgy

jorgy Member

Even Iowas long haired deer comb out to look smooth if you want them to.

7. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Lasersheen from the farm supply stores. I spray that on during first day grooming and it really makes a difference.

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

The best way to get a mount that looks as if has prefect hair is to get a deer that is that way to start with. A lot of deer are just beaten up, fighting, tics, rubs and briers will cause damage to the cape and all the talent in the world will not make a swan from an ugly duckling.