1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My first black squirrel

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by cooterwhitt, Dec 27, 2012.

1. I've been hunting on my farm over 15 years and my dad and grandpa have been here way longer and it's all our first black squirrel have to say I'm proud to be the one to take it [​IMG][/IMG]

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

(fixed your [​IMG]

3. I believe that these evolved in the big Hemlock forests of the northeast during the pre-timbering days (before 1800). The black squirrels have same DNA as grays but were more likely to survive in the dark shadows of the big timber. Anyone else support this? I live in western NY and we have a lot of blacks -- maybe 35 percent.

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    If it becomes a matter of Natural Selection - developing a darker (black) pelage (coat color) to suit its surroundings - to aid in a species survival, then yes, this can make a lot of sense. Especially if this becomes the 'norm' for a given area.

For instance, the Black Serval - while exhibiting the same type of melanistic gene seen in Black Leopards - is found primarily in the Aberdare Mountains, located in west central Kenya - are believed to have developed their dark coloration as a survival response to the extreme cold weather of those mountains!

Taken at 10,000 feet on the moorlands of the Aberdare Mountains by Nigell Pruitt.
    [​IMG]

So, yes ... it is very possible these Squirrels developed their dark coat of fur as an evolutionary defense in their darker than average world.

I other areas - such as just a town away from where I live - there is a population a Black Squirrels. These squirrels, however, have developed this color through the interbreeding of this particular coat color over decades of living in this small area.

The same can be said for the famous 'White Squirrels of Olney', Illinois. Through generations of interbreeding, this population developed and is thriving, and local protection insures these Squirrels a place in the world, and a small amount of fame to their town. I know that one year, Cheryl and I, and our pet Squirrels at the time, travelled there just to see the famous White Squirrels. For sure, the white Squirrels outnumbered the regular Gray Squirrels.

Sometimes these things can be attributed to environment, while other times it is simply a response to the predominant coat color of a particular strain of a species. Also ... genetics plays a big part in such anomalies.

5. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    Funny how spuradic they are up and down the east coast. The Carolinas have quite a few.

6. Where do the black lions come from John ?

Attached Files:

7. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Where i live in northern MI ; blacks , grays ,fox and red`s all live in the same woods :eek:

8. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    From the 'Land of Photoshop'![​IMG] LOL! [​IMG]

9. My first black squirrel

That was the first time I've made a post with pics since I got my new iPhone gotta love technology but yea the black squirrel something new to my area I've never in my years seen one I thought it was a trophy in my eyes but the squirrels size is like our fox squirrels around here our grays are really small I'd like to find a few more like this I have a huge stump in my shop

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

D. I've never seen a black gray squirrel in the Carolina's. We do have black FOX squirrels but not grays.

11. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Black fox squirrels are common along the Mississippi River in the hardwood bottoms and cypress lined bayous. I mount a few each year.

12. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    George, I dont remember saying they were black grey squirrels, someone else may have. I just stated there were black squirrels in the carolinas. But if you are wondering, i do know they are black fox squirrels and not greys.