1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone losing teeth in 35% peroxide dip?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by gamechanger, Dec 27, 2012.

1. gamechanger

gamechanger New Member

I am just wondering about some kind of procedure I can use to keep from losing the teeth in the bottom of the 35% pure peroxide dip I use. It isn't as if I can put a metal strainer in there to catch the teeth if they fall out during the soak. You can't always see the bottom to find the teeth and waving your hand around (even with gloves on) is dangerous because of any potential splashing. I just want a safe effective way to keep from losing any teeth or a way to strain the liquid to find them. The plastic strainers have too large of holes and some teeth, especially incisors drop through.

2. I glue the teeth in before I go to the whitening process

3. michael69

michael69 Active Member

Normally if the skull is degreased fully it wont have any teeth left in to fall down in your peroxide container

4. gamechanger

gamechanger New Member

Thanks guys! Well, I don't have any trouble with the teeth falling out during the degreasing process..except the lower jaw teeth on a deer skull. I use warm water (maintained at 130 degree's) for three days with commercial degreaser specific to biological use. Fortunately, don't lose any teeth from that with the heat kept low.

Do you think the 35% pure peroxide will eat the glue if I use glue first before I put them in the dip?

Kim

5. its best to remove the loose teeth after macerating/beetling, that way u don't have to search for them in the bucket or lose them. removing them also helps prevent cracking.

6. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

Peroxide that concentrated might dissolve the glue. I'd remove all the loose teeth and whiten them separately in a smaller container

7. I am by no means a pro at this but when they go into the peroxide they go in teeth up. If the degreasing was done properly then you should be able to strain it through cheese cloth into another container and easily find them. That's just my method. There are so many different ways to do it we can be here all day. The other choice would be to glue them in between the degreasing and peroxide soak. You will lose more teeth in the degreasing. I personally degrease between 115 and 120 for at least a week for deer and up to 4 weeks for greasy bears and pigs. Hope this will help with your next soak.

8. gamechanger

gamechanger New Member

Thanks so much for all your help. Lordy! I guess I can consider myself lucky that i have never gotten any deer heads back. I have never even dreamed of letting them soak for a week or more..wow. I can't put deer heads in teeth up because I can't get the antlers in that stuff. I have been down that road the hard way. People don't seem to like the color airbrushed back on after the peroxide takes it all the way out. Sure doesn't look very real in my opinion either, no matter how good you are at it. lol That makes all kinds of sense on the smaller skulls and great idea! Great method...the cheese cloth. I agree with you completely on the pigs and the bears.

So Lizardguts...cute by the way... On the teeth prior to degreasing. I guess my beetles are usually pretty easy on my skulls...I can't usually get any teeth out of a skull besides the lower jaw on deer. They leave enough cartilage to keep the teeth intact. I have been concerned and have trouble wtih the degreasing process and losing teeth but I can't seem to get them out without damaging them prior to degreasing. Frustrating! Also, in the degreasing process...do you recommend soaking in degreasing solution and heating up for days then letting dry and doing it again or just keep it in there for a week? I am so afraid of it distorting the bones and separating them being in the heat that long...even if it is low heat. I agree with you on the peroxide. It will probably dissolve the glue. Pretty crazy stuff that 35% is. Will dissolve your skin in no time flat! lol

9. NorthernSkulls

NorthernSkulls New Member

If a skull is done via beetles, generally the teeth wont loosen out, it takes a water soak to get them to loosen up to where they will come out. So once the beetles have done their job, degrease in water and Dawn heated to 90* or so, after a few weeks the teeth should be loose and then removed. Whiten separately then glue them back in.

10. gamechanger

gamechanger New Member

Got it! Thanks for all the great advice. So cheese cloth is what i should use with the 35% peroxide to filter out any teeth in the smaller skulls should they fall out? I wondered if one of those paint strainer bags would work or if it would dissolve even when just using it to get clean solution.

11. NorthernSkulls

Just use a container big enough and poor it out with caution. I have about a dozen mixed skulls of beaver, fox and bobcat soaking that I have dumped a few times with no issue. Ive yet ot dump it completely out so nothing get lost. Teeth wont float.

12. Paint strainer bags work great, and they have a finer weave than cheese cloth. For very small skulls I make my own bags out of squares of noseeum netting tied up with zip ties. Both kinds of bags last through the entire degreasing and whitening process.

13. gamechanger

gamechanger New Member

Thanks Alpinist...so those bags are not going to dissolve with the 35% pure peroxide..that stuff will dissolve metal and skin! lol. Never thought about that in the degreasing process but what a great idea!

14. Paint strainer bags and noseeum netting are made of nylon or polyester. Peroxide will not affect them.

15. gamechanger

gamechanger New Member

Where can I get this noseeum netting. Strangely enough, I haev never heard of it. Is it a common taxidermy related item that I have just never come across yet?

16. Noseeum netting is not a common taxidermy item. It's the netting used in tents to keep mosquitoes and other nasties from getting in and biting your backside while you sleep. ;D ;D ;D
    I buy it here: http://skeeta.com/html/netting/mosquito_no_see_um_netting.htm

17. RBlack

RBlack Member

Its pretty common to have teeth fall out in the degreasing process. I just put them in with the skull when they are dipped. Afterwards I take out the skull and always strain into another bucket

18. gamechanger

gamechanger New Member

To TMALONE:

I was just re-reading some of the posts on the peroxide bath and checking out where everybody was from and I just caught that....location: Very very funny!

Happy New year guys and thanks for your advice-much appreciated.

19. NorthernSkulls

You want teeth out to dissolve the tissue underneath. Cleaner result when gluing as well.

20. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Here ya Go Game Changer... http://www.videobash.com/video_show/i-lift-things-up-and-put-them-down-10349