1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Guest posting

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by Auggie, Oct 5, 2006.

Should guests be able to post?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2006.
  1. Yes

28.6%
  2. No

71.4%
  1. Auggie

Auggie Startem young

George I started this poll because of my curiosity. And guess who got fired up. YOU did. The guy that "wondered why this would get anyone fired up". As far as schmoozing Cecil, I could care less what either one of you think. Like I said before you both contribute some good stuff and some stuff that really doesn't matter. As for "thinking my opinion matters more than others", I don't think that for a second. You should look at your posts once. Your whole last post is an opinion you seem to think is pretty important. Along with your other 349 posts. Whoops, who is counting? You seem to like to count. Maybe if you didn't enjoy listening to yourself talk so much you could see that! By the way George, if you are going to use large words like presumptuous the least you could do is spell it right. Eliminating guests might stop some of the problems that occur and apparently I am not the only one that feels this way. Hey George, no hard feelings pal.

2. Looks like it is going to get hot around here.
    I'm out, ya'll have a good one.

3. The way I see it. If you have to register for the forums. Then guest shouldn't have the right to post. Case closed. All other forums work on that. So why not taxi.net.

Coyote

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Auggie, I never misspell a word. I often make typographical errors however. LOL. Posting late at night doesn't help much, especially when you plan on getting up at 5 am the next morning for the muzzleloader opener and then find out that a Nor'easter is full blown when you step outside. SOOO, back into the dry again.

Oh, and I never have hard feelings about much of anything. I say what I have to say and it's a done deal. Great way to prevent ulcers.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Excuses are for losers George. ;) Can I use that excuse too George? ;D Can you spell hypocrite?

6. Auggie

Auggie Startem young

Hey George, you guys have an early muzzleloader opener. Ours is in late November and Early December. We get the joy of waking up to below zero windchills instead. Goodluck anyway. Glad there is humor from you this morning,you took the high road and I commend you for it. Cecil was that really needed? I wish you two would kiss and makeup. I need to get to work, I have a replica to paint and a stringer of bluegills just waiting to be put together this morning.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You're right Auggie it wasn't needed. But for every action there is a reaction. Frankly I'm tiring of the childishness. My name gets trashed even when I'm not in involved in the thread. I see you noticed that. No whining whatsoever just an observaton.

8. George, even with TERF you have to meet certain guidelines to qualify you know that. First off you have to be a taxidermist, whether part time or full time, and proof that you make income from it. Hobbyist for once do not qualify. Then you have to be affected by either a man made disaster or natural disaster. Storms, fires, eathquakes qualify, a fall from the ladder or an attack from a dissatisfied customer does not. So you see, yes in order to qualify you have to meet certain criteria. Same on this forum. In order to post you should be registered. In this case that would be meeting the criteria to be able to post.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

PULEEZE Cecil, It's tough to understand why your name would "get trashed" so often as you insist on living in a dumpster. And speaking of spelling, I'm sure you meant "you're" instead of "your" and you meant to put an "ed" on "need". Right? I'll let you slide on the comma missing after the short introductory phrase. (" No your right Auggie it wasn't need.")

Evelyn, Darlin', you know I love ya, but that's rationalizing. It still doesn't COST anyone to receive TERF benefits. I'm sure if you used those same exact requirements here, you'd find that most of the "guests" meet that same criteria. (Except the tragedy unless running into me and Cecil would count.)

10. pig lover

pig lover Guest

Evelyn Mills ,I did not know you had to be all those things just to look and buy from
    TERF.

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

George,

Thanks for proving the point I made about it's just a typo with you blah blah blah excuse excuse excuse, but not anyone else. ;)

12. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I also think you should have to register to post. Login time is just a cop out, if you have time to come on here as a guest, you have time to register. And it's not like you have to give your life history, SSN, or much of anything, AND it's free, to register. It's more of a formality, do it once and you're done, it's not a big deal to register. But it would slow down the drive-by posters that have nothing better to do than slam people. Granted I haven't seen much of PETA on here (YET), but I doubt they would take time to register in order to post their b.s.

13. Oh dear Pig Lover, you can buy all you want from the TERF site. I was talking about the qualifications for receiving aid, not giving it.

14. Becky, I don't believe that there are that many drive-by posters, as my guess is that over 90 percent of the posts are from registered people (and they certainly do drive-by posts).

There are two reasons I do not sign in as a member all the time. The first is that I use two computers (at least) from two different services, and if you log onto one as a full time registered person, when I go home and put on that computer, I have to tell the computer that I am now registered at that place. There are actually more steps in placing a post here if I went as a registered person, than if I just signed in as a guest.

The second reason is that on the opening page, the people who have posted information appear or are active in the last 15 minutes are listed. This is advantageous if you wish to contact that person, but I sneak onto the forum a few times a day. If I posted something as "The Taxidermologist", I believe I would be listed on that opening page, but if as a guest taxidermologist, I only appear as a guest.

15. Becky P

Taxidermologist, what I meant by drive-by posters is the "outsiders" that may pop in, such as peta.

I understand your first reason, but not your second one. I check in several times a day too, it might only be 2 minutes and I'm gone again. I don't care if I show up on the list or not.

It doesn't really make any difference, it's all up to Ken. Either way, I'll be here unless I get kicked out. LOL Too much good info (and too many intersting opinions) here to leave.

16. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

taxidermologist,
    You make it sound like it's such a big chore to sign in to this site ??? I log in at work "user name and password, I go home if I can't sleep I may log on at home again user name and password. I don't see what the big deal is. ??? Granted your name is longer than mine. ??? ::)

17. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Actually, Taxidermologist, you CAN use two (or more) computers to stay logged on forever at the same time. I do it every day with my work computer and my home computer, and I never have to sign in.

18. Ken, I'll try setting up my home computer as the base one, but then won't post as a person at work. Becky, the reason why I don't want my name on the opening page is that my work is not as a taxidermist and I am not my own boss. I work for others and while some people play solitaire for a few minutes as a break, I check the forum (and get drawn in wasting more time than I should). I don't want my name on the list on the opening page. I show up for work early, and work hard, but checking the forum is not my job.

And Ken, I appreciate all you do here to make everyone comfortable in this new fourm. Some of us old people are slow to adapt. I used an antique one man crosscut buck saw for three years after I got a woodburner. Finally someone set me staright and I purchased a chain saw. Still like to use the buck saw for felling trees, but after age 45 (7 years past) I can't saw more than a few hours.

I was going to try and keep a list of words not found in your spell check - haven't got to it yet but have noticed losts of technical terms of anatomy, and one glaring one. I can't beleive the work Taxidermologist isn't in your spell check...

19. Becky P

Taxidermologist, I understand now why you don't want your name showing up, that makes sense. Don't want ya to get in trouble with the boss. Thanks;)

20. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Evelyn, not to change the subject, but can tanning be donated to TERF, say a gift certificate? Is there still a need? Would you elaborate more?