1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is There a Normal Amount of Epidermis Loss on a Tanned skin

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Penn Woods, Dec 29, 2012.

1. I recently got back a tanned elk cape from one of the bigger well known tanneries. They were supposed to do a wet tan but did a dry tan. I noticed quite a bit of epidermis loss around the eyes and tear duct area. I have not had problems with the wet tan. I was a little disappointed with the results and was wondering if this is normal.

Thank you,

Chris

Attached Files:

2. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    I had the same problem with one of the well known tanneries wet tans. I changed to a different one and it went away. Never was real sure why, me or them. Could just be that cape, from not being handled right somewhere along the way. If its just a random thing I wouldn't worry to much it's a fairly easy fix.

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

I used to see that as well from some tanneries, and no, that is not normal. While it is an easy fix, you should't have to deal with that all the time.

4. Ok, thank you for the information, I appreciate you answering my questions!
    I am not sure I will use that tannery again. I guess if I use the normal finishing techniques the slipped areas will not be noticeable. I wasn't sure if I need to do anything special on these areas when finishing.

5. Never seen one that bad, I've had bears with loss, but not to that extreme

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Got a wolf recently with the same issue, but I think it had to do with the way the hide was handled, because the other wolves I've had from that tannery came back looking just fine.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Common in African skins, occasionally happens now and then, but not the tanners fault, it is slip.

8. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Quit getting them dry tanned, the tumbling just beats more dermis off. I'll bet that it was pretty good before the final drying.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I once got a bear back with slip all around the eyes, the entire nose (nose was white and slick), the entire face and ears as well. A lot of paint and skin dye was in order turned out pretty good though. Most of my bears and elk had slip like yours so I changed tanneries and problem solved.

10. Thanks for the information everyone. I did request a wet tan but the tannery made a mistake and did the dry tan. The elk was taken during warmer weather in August so that may have been a factor.

11. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

I had that problem occasionally with bears. For what it's worth, I haven't had a problem with any of my stuff since I started putting Stop Rot on the area around the eyes and the muzzle of everything as soon as I get it, as well as while detail fleshing. Call me superstitious, but I think it helps prevent the problem.