1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Obssesed with huge water waves/splashes

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by stuffinducks, Dec 31, 2012.

1. stuffinducks

stuffinducks New Member

Okay,

I don't know just how to ask the question without getting slammed or no responses, but I've lost a lot of sleep trying to find out how some of the full time bird guys are manufacturing these new water scenes. I've searched the internet, forums, asked other bird guys and either no one knows, or it's a secret, I get that folks.

I personally would probably never have any clients wanting all that fancy stuff anyway - hello I live in Utah...we are all cheap here ;).

But I would like to learn for my own personal mounts for starters. A few years ago, I put together 3 Harlequins together and I envisioned an awesome water scene and would love to make that happen someday if possible.

I would welcome anyone willing to send a pm with any info, methods, etc...I sure would appreciate it. Maybe I can get some sleep...I've become obsessed with it.

Regards,

Jeff Nelson

2. PM sent ;)

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I wish that question didnt start out with "I dont wanna get slammed". Ignore the bs comments, as theye seldom have much to offer beyond their negative remark. You know what? I always wonder how they do those big waves too, lol. I can picture an offset surface made of plexiglass with resin formed over it and heated to a certain texture, but I just dont get to work with those materials enough to know either.

But...you got a great guy to respond to you, because if anyone knows, its Mike. Good luck!!!

4. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

Check out Frank N's video on constructing water splashes. It's very informative.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. stuffinducks

stuffinducks New Member

Thanks for the responces all especially you Bill ;). I had a good time with you when you came to the Utah Show a while back.

SD

6. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    Smile as you lay there in sleeplessness, many great inventions came from an obsession
    Turn the light on!

7. Bill Yox

Yes we should do it again, its been awhile! That was a nice show, I was lucky to attend twice!

8. EXACTLY!

9. stuffinducks

stuffinducks New Member

D.Brown,

Thanks, I just need the seed planted 1st, then hopefully it will grow! You made me laugh...thanks.

10. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    Just remember there are no failed attempts just successful ways NOT to do it! :)

11. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

what ever mvernelson tells you, take it the bank. he's a pro for sure.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Mike, that kind of answer pisses me off. If you have a suggestion, why not have the decency to educate EVERYONE? There likely dozens of people lurking who would like to know the answer. That "PM sent" is tactless in EVERY CASE.

Maple Ridge Taxidermy likes this.
  13. kazo

kazo New Member

I'm one of those dozens. :)

14. Me to!!

15. Bill Yox

George, George...I go out of town for ONE darn class, and you go and say this, tsk tsk...hahaha, you goof, Mike is friends with Jeff, so the PM was ...personal!! Hell I talked to Mike two days later...shhhhhh!

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Bill!, Bill!, Bill, that's all well and good but if they're friends, the post should have been off a PUBLIC FORUM. I don't have to tell you that there are over 155,000 members here, many of whom never contribute and just as many here trying to be better at what they do. If Mike wants to send him a PM, THEN SEND IT BUT DON'T ADVERTISE THAT YOU'RE KEEPING A SECRET. If you SEND a PM, the addressee will likely see the PM before he goes back to the post asking for help, don't you think. AND I might add, you see at least two others would have liked to have an answer to that very public question.

17. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    I would have liked to have read the answer as well....

18. Thank you George, I am one who don't contribute for one reason. I'm a begginer and don't have much experience to be telling others. I read this site everyday and learn. I've read posts and bought CD"S, but it is always nice to hear or see how others do things.

19. Bill Yox

Ok, George, I give. I answered you in jest, because in truth, I wouldnt offer all of what it would take to truly answer this either, if I were making a living training that info. Im just glad he posts pics to inspire us with what hes able to do. But, I hear what youre saying, like its a tease, or he shouldve just been private about it with a friend. I dont agree 100%, but I hear ya. I give.

20. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Bill, cried UNCLE!!! George your such a bully! ROFL!!!!!!!!!

You have to pace yourself, dang my popcorn didnt even have time to get cold.

Just teaseing guy's

Will