1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

celastic material

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by GC424, Jan 1, 2013.

1. GC424

GC424 New Member

I have a deer i need to make earliners for. Does anyone know the thickness of the celastic that is used for liners and can you use the same thickness for small mammal's.

2. GC424

GC424 New Member

wow nobody knows the answer :eek: Maybe it is a stupid question but the reason i asked it there is a website that offers it in different thickness. Thanks anyway

3. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

What website? I need to get some for rabbit ears...bondo is not cutting it.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The reason none of us answered is because the question shouldi be obvious: The earliners need to be the same thickness of the cartilage that you removed from them. If you haven't removed the cartilage, then you shouldn't be using earliners.

5. GC424

GC424 New Member

the cartilage is .75 mm thick the celastic starts at 1mm The McKenzie Plastic earliners are 1.25mm. i have never used celastic so I am not sure if 1mm would hold it shape as the ear dries. Guess I will just by a pair of celastic liners measure them and then go from there. Kind of thought I asked a question no one knew the answer to ;) Thanks anyway

6. George

Modern "celastic" isn't and the earliners are much too thick along the edges.IMO you're just better office using plastic.

7. GC424

GC424 New Member

I would use the plastic earliners if i could but for this deer it would be impossible to get the shape using plastic. These ears are almost round with no point. Looks almost like a dwarf.

8. George

You know I'm just not buying into that either. There are other earliners out there, but I've modified a bunch of "small" whitetail liners to fit into fawns. With a belt sander, I can modify even the smallest liner to fit "your" deer.

9. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    As a regular user of Celastic - yes, George, they are carrying the Acetone activated Celastic again ;) - I use 1ᵐᵐ for small ears, and 1.5ᵐᵐ for the ears of Deer, Bear, Cougar, Leopard, African Lion, etc.
    http://www.celasticworld.com/celastic_toe_box_toe_puff_p/1180-10.htm

http://www.celasticworld.com/celastic_toe_box_toe_puff_p/1180-15.htm

You can even use the 1.8ᵐᵐ for even larger ears still, such as Elk, Moose, large African game.
    http://www.celasticworld.com/celastic_toe_box_toe_puff_p/1180-18.htm

Always, always, sand the edges thin. You want to recreate the cartilage as close as possible. ;) Best of luck to you!

10. George

Thanx John. I was unaware of them marketing "the good stuff" again.

11. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Well, George ... I know I'm happy about it being available too! ;) My 'vast supply' has been running very low! ;D Besides still making my own earliners, I've been augmenting Whitetail ears with OTS earliners ... VERY nice earliners, by the way! ;)

I have been using polyester resin and laminating epoxy - with fiberglass mat - to make some custom ears ... Kudu and other large and 'transparent' ears, as well as earliners for Springhare and other odd-eared mammals. I'll probably continue using those products for those and other particular ears.

I just like having options! ;)

12. GC424

GC424 New Member

That's the site I found, hence the question. Thanks John really appreciated ;D