1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New guy to forum and taxidermy

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by armed_al, Jan 1, 2013.

1. armed_al

armed_al New Member

Hello I just joined the forum so I though I would check in and say hello. I'm pretty new to taxidermy, I did a squirrel mount when I was a kid thats about it but I have always had great interest in it. I'm a very avid Wisconsin bowhunter, trapper and fisherman so I never have a shortage of potential mounts. I've been reading and watching videos for awhile and would like to dive in here pretty soon. I'm a skilled craftsman with my hands and I always strive to be good at what ever it is I peruse so I really look forward to studying this art.

Thanks,
    Allen

2. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Welcome.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Allen, I wish you the best, but if you're an "avid bowhunter, trapper, and fishermen" I'd encourage you to think long and hard before you jump into this mess. I used to be one of those guys to, but as soon as I opened the door, all those things I took so much joy in doing had to be put on the back burner. Choose wisely.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I concur, only so much time outdoors in a year, sucks to be doing taxidermy when you want to be fishing or hunting, or tapping, or hiking, or kayaking, or camping. I love wood working, I can just stop, put it on a shelf, and go do something else, not with taxidermy, better plan on spending a big hunk of time on a weekend to do the taxidermy, it's a big time sucker.

5. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

George is definately right on this. There was once a thread on here asking everyone what they did before they became taxidermists. My answer was easy: hunt and fish. Now I work a full time job with some overtime and mount a few fish for regular customers and get to do a little more of what I want. Welcome anyhow and hope you enjoy the forum!

6. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Ditto, not to dismay your dreams, we are glad your here Welcome... BUT,what is hunting anymore????...Haven't bought a hunting license in 3 years now and when I did buy that one it was for 2 days before that is was 6 years since I had bought one. Before my last trip this summer to go to Africa I had spent a total of 6 days hunting 2 days in Mich and 4 days in Texas in 9 YEARS....I just don't have time anymore...I'm working a full day today at my studio. The life a full time self employed taxidermist is nothing what I had envisioned..... ;D

7. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

I have to honestly say that I enjoy preserving the animal wayyyyyyyy more than I do hunting them....but I am an artist first and a hunter second. I have a part time job three days a week as a personal trainer and the rest of the week I devote to taxidermy and my other artwork, I have sculptures I sell in galleries in SF, CA and here on the east coast so I stay pretty busy year round but taxidermy definitely has a time schedule and once you start you can't just stop, wether you end up going commercial or just stay a hobbyist I wish you well and you will find a very large and strong network of new teachers and friends on this site as well as plenty of moral support...it won't be sugar coated at times but it will be the truth and sometimes it's what we need to hear most to drive us to be the best we are able. WELCOME!

8. armed_al

armed_al New Member

I actually have a lot more time om my hands than I should. Divorced, no kids, don't hang out in bars. I'm mostly looking to be able to do my own stuff, I would rather learn something than have it done for me. learning makes me happy ;D

@Hudson. I'm in S.E WI. Pewaukee to be exact..

9. i think most will agree, that to work on enough specimens to get good at it, youl have to mount more than just your own kills
    actually thats how most start off, then realize that the only way to get better at the trade is to do it for money, lol
    it snowballs on you before u even know whats going on

i just tell everyone that the taxidermy business has kinda put me out of the huntin business

by the way im single too, and my kids are grown and out of the house, lol

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the boards. Reading a bit will help you better understand our sometimes "bark is worse than the bite" manner.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Taxidermy as a hobby for yourself friends and family is great! Taxidermy as a business is not as great. I'm part time, I worked 5 evenings a week 5 to 7hrs an evening and 1and 1/2 weekend days 9 to12 hrs per day and I finally finished customer mounts in August. The end of August is archery season here so this year(2012) I was able to hunt 4 days. Lucky for me, that like Shasta I like taxidermy 1st and hunting 2nd. It's like do I make money to day and meet turnaround schedules or do I spend money and hunt? I've had to learn to say no when I get to much of taxidermy to handle in a year.

12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I retired for a government job 8 years ago, and went from part time to full time. I have not hunted since 1993, even though I own huntable property in 4 different counties. Pick your poison wisely!

13. EA

EA Well-Known Member

You guys need to adjust and go hunting. Recharge those batteries. I say this just as I have missed most of my own hunting season because of business, but I got behind from 2 weeks off fishing. Go hunting, at least a day or two a year.

14. tem

tem Well-Known Member

ya. when you watch a taxidermy commercial were they tell you to live your dream and go hunting and fishing in far away pleases. wake up. when customers come calling. you better be there.