1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st Tattoo Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Hunting_24_7, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Codi, thats is funny!

2. ponyboy

ponyboy Member

Don't get one...

3. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

I have a bunch and respect good ink. Its art. Think before you just get one. All mine in front of my body are evil and all on back side are religous. It means I always see evil and god watches my back.

4. double barrel

double barrel New Member

I worked construction one time with a guy who had a brother who was a tatoo artist and very good. My co-worker started practicing on grapefruit and oranges and said he was going to work for his brother. Gonna get outta construction and be a too artist like his brother. He would come in every week with a new one, we started calling him scratchpad.LOL!

One day he came in with a "demon baby" on his leg. Next week, an "angel baby" on his other leg. Next week he had bandaids on the angel baby and said,"and I quote...the demon baby got drunk and beat the crap outta the angel baby." I said Pat, let's try and keep this on an adult level. LOL!

Just don't do like Jeff Foxworthy and finance a tatoo. Look at it and say, "three more payments and this son-of-a-gun is mine." LOL!

5. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

go for it have two now and will get more but i agree with blkbear dont get one cuz you think you have to get one cuz you want one and remember they are like eating chips you cant have just one11111111 lmao11111111111

6. MidwestBigBucks

MidwestBigBucks Member

I really like the meaning of your tattoo. I also agree with getting tattoo's that having meaning. Cause if you get one with no meaning what so ever, you will regret it later. I have tattoo's and I like them. Mine are black ink only, from a dark past, but they remind me of all I went through and where I've made it to today, what I've left behind and the accomplishments I've now made. I don't regret my tats. Your past makes you who you are, every inch of your past, leads you to where you are today. Everything happens for a reasons. Do what you do man, If you want a tat, get it!

7. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

If you do come up with an idea, you should give the design at least a few months of thought to make sure it's something you're not going to get tired of or regret later. I waited half a year on my own tattoo and 3 years later so far I'm still glad I got it.

For three daughters...what about a design incorporating three fawns?

8. a7d1

a7d1 New Member

I'd say find something else to honor your family. I never quite understood why someone would pay a lot of money to have artwork put somewhere they can't see it except with the use of a mirror... buy a picture instead....tell and show your kids that you love them and put the money into a college fund for them....they will get more out of that.

9. SVincent84

SVincent84 New Member

I like lizardguts idea of fawns but to look good with detail it would be a bit sizable ...to each his own when it comes to tats, for me I have 7, none can be seen in jeans and a t-shirt, I choose to be able to "clean up" appropriatly for any occasion or situation, ie if I wanted to go work in a suit and tie atmosphere I wont look out of place lol.
    What is your favorite animal to taxi? With wildlife and family as your main theme the possibilities are infinite! You could do 3 baby ducks tagging along behind the mom on a shoulder if your brod or back of shoulders, that wld cover kids and wife. Fawns cld work the same but you may have to stick to "shoulder mount" type view versus full body. The duck idea is kinda girly but...guess that's cause I'm a girl. I've got one more to get my self for my 2 youngest boys (got my oldest sons name written on my shoulder with a heart made of hands and feet)... I'm going to get two RCA coon @sses on my shoulder blades with their names under each. Their dad is a cajun and take every chance they get to run off to the bayou!!!
    Think about what matters to you and what you want to show...your girls and wife and taxi, think about what got you started in taxi or your first mount or prize winning mount, maybe the thing that got you into taxi will give you an idea of what tat you want...think of it like you would a mount...almost anything you can picture for a mount can be turned into a tat and a Very good artist can help Tons! For the artist its a lot like a customer bringing you his trophy and saying he wants it to remind him of That hunt and you help with the pose and base ideas till you find what works for him.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. SVincent84

SVincent84 New Member

One last thing IMO don't use the crap on the artists wall...just like the cookie cutter taxi its every where and you might like it at the moment but later your probably gonna wish you'd been more original!
    Good luck

11. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Your mommy and daddy invested much time into developing you into their perfect masterpiece. Why **** with perfection?

12. Some tats are true works of art. My daughter-in-law has a couple of her kids. They look like pencil drawings done by a talented artist. Very detailed and realistic. Our son has, among several, small beach sandals/flip flops in different colors. Each has one of his kids' name and date of birth on it.

I am too big a baby to get one for myself. Pain is something I like to avoid whenever possible. LOL!

13. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Tats are nothing more than graffiti. Hardly works of art. Canvas would make it a work of art. Maybe I'm old fashion, but I think there ugly and nasty. What? You disappointed you don't have a nasty ugly birthmark, so you go get one affixed to yourself? Brilliant.

14. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

I sat on the idea of getting a tattoo for nearly 5 years before I finally got one. I cannot stress enough to make sure it is something that means a LOT to you. Something that is a representation of something YOU are or has been part of your life for an extended period of time. Take the time to design, redesign and design it again in various fashions until you feel comfortable with the design. They are also addictive. Once you have one, you want more. As for pain, minimal. mine are on my inner forearms about an inch below the elbow and one on my right upper arm near the shoulder. comes down to about where a shirt sleeve does. As with taxidermy...choose the best artist. The guy I went to had been in business for almost 20 years and was the highest priced for the area. He walked me through the process as he did it and was a talkative and friendly person. As for pain, the first five minutes is the worst. Feels like dragging a needle across your skin, but once the endorphins kick in you are fine.

15. If you were in the area, I would say to come to our shop! Congrats on wanting to get your first ink. I would research your artist, and look for photos of completely-healed (not just shiny, bright, fresh pieces) that he/she has done. Many artists use choppy outlines, shaky shading, and blunt points; not good in tattoos. It's a lot like taxidermy; some artists are just starting out, or just not good, and have wonky work. Another huge concern is hygiene. Is the artist's shop clean, not just on a cursory examination, but in the nooks and crannies? Do they have either a working autoclave in use, or disposable packaged needles that are opened fresh in front of a client?

Getting tattooed is a personal choice; I would not let others' comments dissuade you, if you have a meaningful design in mind. Your advantage is that you are not a youngster (neither am I; lol) and have lived some, and know what you would or would not want on your body forever.

Every person's pain threshold is different; you really do not know until you get worked on how you will react. Some people pass out. Some lay there nonchalantly and even chat on their cell phones or text. Some (myself included) feel pain pretty badly, but can get into a mental "zone" where the pain is tolerable, and even enjoyable. It is really one of those things that has to be experienced to understand; it is like no other feeling that I can describe. But I am definitely Not a "risk taker" adrenaline junkie (I would never go skydiving or ride a rollercoaster) and can sit for a tattoo; hopefully that can give you a bit of confidence. :)

I know this industry well (actually, I have done a few tattoos in the past, and plan on updating my credentials to pursue it as a side business, as I am part owner of our shop, Holy Ground Tattoo near Buffalo, NY.) If you have any more detailed questions for me (or for my husband and our other professional artists,) then please do PM me or ask here. I am not advertising, since you are obviously far away, but please look into it a ton before going to just any artist; there are many wannabee rockstars out there who have no idea what they are doing, and mutilate people, and make the industry look bad. But there are top-notchers out there whose work is enough to stun the viewer.

16. Since others posted some work, I will, too. It is contagious. :) Here is a pic of one of my larger tattoos, on my left calf. It took about four hours and was pretty painful due to its solid color design. Getting something that's more shading and less linework would be less painful, but in the end, the pain will be gone and the most important thing is to get a design that you not only like, but love, and are amazed at every time you look at it.

artist Jake Anderson
    [​IMG]

Some of my arm: aquatic theme. Artist Mark Sinsel, my husband

[​IMG]

and my portrait of the singer Morrissey. artist Ian McCusker.

[​IMG]

17. Hunting_24_7

Hunting_24_7 New Member

Thanks everybody for your input and whatnot. I should clarify that I'm NOT getting for the need to be "cool", "hip" or removing myself from a minority status. My verbiage was maybe misconstrued, as typed text for online forums or emails are so famous for.

My sole reason for a tattoo is to tell a story through the art of a tattoo, of my kids and then to incorporate my (our) passions in life...My kids and taxidermy / outdoors. That will never change. I have a story of my kids that is pretty unique thus far and I'm more than great full to have them, to be honest. Just to give you an idea what I'm talking about, as for a story. My first daughter was born at 1lb 3 oz (yes that is correct and not a typo 1.3). That journey is story in itself.. Today, she is a healthy 10 yr old girl that excels in everything she does....she totally bet the odds. My other 2 daughters have their own stories too.

The best advice that I think I have gotten thus far is.... to get a design I WANT, review, think about it, then make your decisions.

Some ideas Ive been thinking of thus far are:
    - Using the inked footprint design of have of each daughter in something (all 3 daughters were born 6lbs or less so print is smaller than normal)
    - Using Whitetail Does somehow in the tattoo
    - Using my Native American Heritage language of symbols.

Thanks again and invite you to keep the ideas coming..

18. SVincent84

SVincent84 New Member

Just running off the top of my head but if there Real foot prints as new borns is real small what about the 3 prints in a row from youngest to oldest as if it were 1 set of prints walking, name, dob, and weight incorporated into the vaining or curled around the heal, at the front of the prints have 3does standing tightly together, u cld even encorperate an aged doe and buck to each side of the does to represent yourself and your wife as a unified family. Native American symbols cld be trailed along the way to emphasize the story of your girls....like I said just off the top of my head.

19. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

Hey you can always get the same tattoo as little balls ..

[​IMG]

20. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Jen D, that Morrissey tat should be on the WTF Tattoo website.

Skins, Scales and Skulls, sent you a PM of one of my tats. You could get one in that location and even buck naked, no one would see it if you didn't show it to them!!