1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermist I just don't get them sometimes

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 71Challenger R/T, Jan 2, 2013.

1. 71Challenger R/T

71Challenger R/T New Member

I just don't get it. Time and time again I see the petty arguments between taxidermists. Personality differences, jealousy, whatever. It is all just window dressing. But why would businesses throw away profit?

I am no one special in the taxidermy industry, no world champion, never invented some neat taxidermy product, I don't believe I am the know all end all of any aspect of taxidermy. Heck I don't even have my own shop. I just work for someone else. But I love my job. even after all these years I still wake up and look forward to going to work. I have worked my way up through the ranks from line taxidermist to assistant manager and I have seen many come and many go. The fellow I have worked for is aging, and I expected he would retire one day. I kind of figured he would retain ownership, and move one of his loyal employees into the top management spot. Hopefully it would be me. But that was not to be. He sold the business.
    The new owner came in and introduced himself to us all. He told us that we would all have our jobs as long as we wanted them, and that nothing was going to change. (ya right) Last week I placed the monthly supply/materials order just as usual. After the task was complete I pinned the order to the tack board in receiving so it could be checked in upon arrival. The next morning the new owner came into the workshop with the order in his hand. and asked "What is this?" I explained that it was this months supply/materials order. to which he said. "This studio No longer orders from McKenzie!" I explained that all the guys in the shop were used to McKenzie forms, changing that may cause a disruption in the smooth flow of work, and that it may create a temporary decrease in overall quality of the work, as everyone would have to get use to new materials. That it would also increase the time it took me to work up and place an order. because few other supply houses carried as comprehensive line of supplies as McKenzie. That I would literally have to work up five or six orders each month rather than one or two to attain the same supplies.
    Now I am not going to give a direct quote of his reply, because I cannot use some of his expletives here.
    But Basically he said he would never give McKenzie a penny of his money. That they had wronged him some 20 years ago. and when he talked to customer service they basically told him "Oh well! too bad for you." he has never done business with them since.

This single event has created turmoil within the shop. No one is happy and some of the guys are talking about quitting. And it is cresting ill will between the crew and new owner.
    I waited a few days and approached the new owner again . With reason and logic I tried to find some sort of work around. The owner told me he could reach no resolve with McKenzie They had wronged him and They did not care, They have gotten so big that the guys who built them no longer matter. He offered as proof the fact that he had just called and canceled a $5000.00 order and we are so insignificant to them that they did not even call to find out why.
    It makes no sense to me why would McKenzie loose out on all that business? Throw the guy a bone and apologize for god sake!
    And why would he let a grudge cost him money. I place the orders. So I know what the volume discounts are. I know that ordering $500.00 here and $700.00 there does not give you as large of a discount as ordering $1200.00 from one place. Let alone the turmoil it is causing with the crew. Lets get past this. We have a studio that is and has been working like a Swiss watch why mess with it?

I guess taxidermist are even a weirder lot than even I had thought.

2. He's the owner and don't like McKenzie, I would order from who I want. If you had bought the place you would order from whom you want, I'm sure.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Over the years, I've trained half a dozen or so people in my shop. They ate my food, even slept in my beds if needed, and were taken into the family. All of them knew that they would be moving on when trained and that wasn't an issue. Still, less than half of them have anything good to say about me, my work or my way of doing business. The ones who have been loyal are frank and open with their discussions and most confide in me that they had no idea what taxidermy was all about until they began their own businesses. Hell, half of them still use me as their supply company when they "forget" to order a specific item. The know that I made a habit of keeping a working stock available.

So from that standpoint, you've been fortunate to live the golden age of that business without the really having to know what "business" was about.

Now, your firm has been bought by a guy who'd bite his nose off to spite his face. Your choices are rather simple. Move on to someplace else or start your own business.

To put your argument against McKenzie into context, you wonder why they don't check why a $5000 got cancelled. Though I suspect someone eventually WILL, you have a shop with multiple taxidermsits and your order was $5000. I am a very SMALL shop with only me in here. Last week I ordered $1100 worth of supplies. Now can you imagine how many other guys just like me there are in America who did the same thing? It would only take 5 more to match your order and they spend more in packing materials in one day than your total order. The problem is with the mentality of your new owner who can't understand the value of his own money. It's like the people here who badmouth dealing with China and do all their shopping at WalMart. You're not going to talk sense to someone like that, so save your breath.

4. 71Challenger R/T

I guess you are right George. In the grand scheme of things $5000.00 a month isn't a big deal for a company the size of McKenzie.
    I have no intention of going anywhere, The owner really isn't half bad. he just imposed some changed. actually the sale was a good thing for me. The new owner has a couple of other shops in different states. and after the first few weeks we only see him a couple days a week. which leaves me pretty much in the drivers seat. I figure if I ever do decide to strike out on my own, I will already have a clientell that is familiar with me. but for now I think I am in good shape.
    I am just disappointed that some of the other guys are talking about leaving over this thing. Most of us have been here a while, and the group makes a work day fun. the pride in workmenship, and competitive nature keeps everyone on their toes. while the jabs and jokes make the day pass with a smile. I just do not like problems. especially when I have to deal with them. I know he is the owner, and I will certainly abide by his wishes. That is part of my job. I prefer every one to be happy and have things run smoothly. which I am sure they ultimately will.

5. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Heck, wouldnt we ALL love to have a place to work with zero conflict or disagreement. Your boss might be a good guy, but his reasoning, to me, seems foolish. He likely crapped his pants as a kid, but that was then too, this is now. I laugh aloud at people who resent McKenzie for being big. Taxidermists wanna be big, why cant suppliers? Theres plenty of other suppliers, and together they all compliment one another in that together theres many choices...just like shops to work in...

6. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Mckenzie most likely wasn't even owned by the same parent company as it is now.

7. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

Pride and stubbornness are shameful things that do nothing but cloud your mind and poison your heart...the harder you push him the harder he will dig his heels in though I'm afraid. Just make it obvious the extra time and money he is wasting...that's all you can do.

8. MidwestBigBucks

MidwestBigBucks Member

Wow, I could not see ordering from anywhere else but Mckenzies, one stop shop, quality customer service, fast shipping, quality products.
    It truly amazes me how people may have one bad experience someplace, and just assume that the place is out to get them. Things happen, were all human, no one is perfect, people make mistakes. Your customer service agent could have had a bad day, lost a loved one, a disagreement with a boss. And got moody with a customer, is it right? No. Does it happen? Yes, all the time. I have my moody days, we all do, and sometimes we don't realize we are, but other see it. But the reality is, your boss sounds like he's very uptight. I could never work for someone like that. Because the job you once had a passion for, becomes a job, and you get burn out.

9. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Heck, wouldnt we ALL love to have a place to work with zero conflict or disagreement

Heck yeah. I'm a one man show and we can't ever agree on anything.

10. ShastaDonegan

I know, I have arguments with myself and my two shop cats all the time

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It's just a job. Clock in, clock out. Let the owner sweat the small stuff.

12. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

71Challenger R/T, you sound like an employee most would love to have. While I would like to say that your boss is a hard headed fool. I cannot for I am just as stupid/stubborn. There are 2 supply companies I do not use anymore for 1 reason.....they pissed me off LOL As owners big or small we all have our ways. Just roll with it. Whether with him or on your own, you sound like with your attitude you will be succesful at either one :) Good luck!

13. NorthernSkulls

NorthernSkulls New Member

Not a himalayan is it?? Lol

14. ShastaDonegan

Hahaha...no. Those things are crazy!

15. MidwestBigBucks

MidwestBigBucks Member

[​IMG]

16. ShastaDonegan

Pretty ones are the crazy one usually...lol

17. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Every shop has some drama even the sole owners because they have themselves and family. You just can not cut your nose off despite your face; thats just dumb. Sometimes in life you just have to be quite, keep your head down, look busy and stay working and then everything turns out OK in the long run despite others AND yourself.

18. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I fired myself today. Now what?? I have no unemployment benefits.

19. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

FOOD STAMPS, WELFARE, and be sure to sign up for your OBAMA PHONE!

20. 71Challenger R/T

That is true of all species. LOL

!