1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Eppley Ear Butts question....

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bucksmith, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Bucksmith

Bucksmith Member

Anyone using the artificial earbutts and bondo ears together?? I just started using eppley ear butts but im not switching to ear liners...been doing bondo too long. Just curious on your methods of doing it this way.... Ill share my method...

1. bondo ears

2. Rasp down the form where i want my butts

3. Bondo or epoxy the butts to the form / with a screw in the center

4. do some clay work around the edges, just to make smoothe transistions.

5. once I test the posistion with my "test" earliner and am satisfied with posistion, ill fill the void of the earbutt with 2 part epoxy and stick my ear down in it.

5. Groom and feather everything out with my fingers untill the bondo finally kicks...

Anyone have a better process or willing to share any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Buck

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Just curious on your methods of doing it this way.

I think you're in a league all on your own. Don't think it will ever become an industry standard.

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Ive heard of guys saying theyre using bonded ears with ear butts like that, not sure how they connect them, though. OTS makes a good liner that mates right to the butt, as does McKenzie...to me liners just seem easier anyway.

4. duece

duece Member

Hate to rob this thread.Or to even ask a stupid question.Is it necessary to use any glue paste, etc. From the earliner to the manufactured butt. Also I would like some other ideas how everyone uses the earliner to eppley ear butt.

5. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Ear liners have got to be the way to go .

6. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Deuce if youre using the eppley combo from OTS, call over there and ask for Bryan or Rudy, theyd be happy to help you out, as its their product. Thats the best way to get good info, aside from what we all do in here. Good luck. BTW, when I used the base with liners, I didnt glue them together, they fit pretty snug...

7. Bucksmith

Bucksmith Member

just to clarify what I said....When my ears come back from the tannery they still have the entire ear canal bulb in place, just like buttless earliners do....my deer ear fits into the butt system the same way that my test earliner would...So if I would take a buttless earliner and stick it down into the eppley ear butt and glue it, why cant you stick a bondo'd ear down in there and glue it? It may not be an industry standard but it does work. Here is my thing....I hate removing the cartlige from the ears, its not cuz im lazy but because honestly im just not good at it....50% of the time ill tear something and its just not worth having a busted ear and another repair to fix IMO...i stick with bondo and my ears are safe. But i really like eppleys ear butts...I think they take less time and make a nice ear butt on your mount....

8. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Buck smith, I agree with you as I too hate removing cartilage, but it is a necessary evil. But even so, the repairs when needed are easily done. Simply use the liner for your repair. Glue the skin to the liner and your repair is made. Easy Pesy.

9. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

You CAN stick your bondo ear in the eppley ear liner regardless of what people may think. I personally like bondo ears on all my animals. If your ear fits the butt then use it, glue probably won't help alot as it needs time to set up. If you want to keep your ear in place drive something through the ear into the mannikin to hold the ear where you want it until your piece is dry.

10. Bucksmith

Bucksmith Member

AntlerMan- Yea I hear ya, but that inner ear cartlige is my nemisis.....I swore Id never go back. My main area of focus for this year is to really get my ears lookin sharp... I want crisp ears, anatomicly correct earbutts!!! and range of motion with my ears, meaning figuring out all the variations of possible ear posistion.....With that in mind, thats when I looked and found the eppley earbutts..gave it a whirl with my own process and they turned out pretty good.

Ted- agreed.

11. Bucksmith could you post some pictures of what your ears look like or how your doing them.

12. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

I know this doesn't answer your question about the ear butts with Bondo, but in regards to that inner ear cartilage, what I do when I use the ear liners with the matching butts I cut the lower 3/4s of an inch off of the ear liner. Then when I slip the ear liner in the ear I push the inner ear cartilage through the opening I cut off. I dont cut off too much that the liner will not fit tight into the butt, just enough to pop the cartilage through. Taking your dremmel and thinning that cartilage down will help as well. I hope that makes sense.

13. johnnyb

johnnyb Member

I used to exclusively do bondo ears, but last year I started removing the cartilage and using the Eppley system. Wow, has it ever changed the quality of the mounts and you have good ear butts along with nice clean ears that look natural and isn't that what we are after? I would much rather remove the cartilage (that takes me all of 15 minutes for a pair of ears) than deal with the bondo. I use red flocking or even toned down flesh oil paint in the epoxy for the liners and never have to paint the inside of ears any more. If you go with liners, you won't go back to bondo I don't think, except for maybe some special occasions. Just my two cents worth that works for me.

14. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

No offense johnnyb, but there are people who do bondo ears who can put many guys earliner ears to shame! Whatever works for each person is great but those who knock bondo ears have never gotten the grasp on doing a really good bondo ear. I still have a few issues with bondo ears but I used liners for years before switching and have no plans on switching back for commercial work

15. johnnyb

johnnyb Member

No offense taken, but there was none given on my part on purpose. Like I say, I did bondo ears for several years and you can, as I did, make them look good, but just not for me anymore. Just was giving some folks a suggestion to give the liners with the Eppley ear butts a try on several deer.

16. I never got any calls or Pm's so I assume everyone's got it figured out?

Just a quick thing, the only thing I would add to the original poster is a slight application of mold release will make the bondo detach after its fully kicked so if you want to set it and walk away thats what I would do, rather then waiting till it starts to kick and then pull the ears back out.

Let me know if you do need any help, I use earliners, but have lots of customers bondoing and using the butts.

Thanks
    Rudy

17. jorgy

jorgy Member

Rudy,

Do you have any tutorial anywhere on how to use the system?

18. Sorry but no, this summer were going to be doing a bunch of video tutorials though.

Hopefully everyone can hold out till then, ;D

19. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

If you would wet the ear in and out with Stop Rot right away the minute you open them, you would find it isn't even the least bit hard to remove the cartiliage later on. The difference is night and day.