1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Desired room Tempature for molding?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by MichaelG, Jan 3, 2013.

1. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

I would like to start trying my luck at creating my own fish molds using the bondo/resin method and then using smooth-on products. My garage isn't insulated so it gets pretty cold in there. What is the preferred room tempature for molding?

I plan on running a heater in there but turning it off before I start using the materials.

I appreciate any advise you can give.

2. rodlrock

rodlrock Mold Maker HQ Taxidermy Supply.

72F would be a good working temp

3. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

Thank you.

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

On bondo......

Bondo takes longer to kick the colder it is and kicks faster the hotter it is with the same amount of catalyst.

I always use bondo outside because of the smell. I just use more catalyst when it is colder.

:)

Kerby...

5. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

Thanks Kerby. Do you lose any detail in lower tempatures?

6. Kerby Ross

No....

No, it just takes longer for the bondo to kick....or use more catalyst.

What are you molding?

Kerby...

7. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

My first try is a 12 inch Yellow Perch my daughter caught. With any luck I can get multiple cast from it to help me with my painting skills.

8. Kerby Ross

Last year....

Last year in February I was molding a Roundtail Chub using bondo and it was actually snowing outside and once the bondo set the fins didn't even cook like they do when it gets hot.

So it can take longer (colder temps) but will be easier on the fish (if you are wanting to use it for a skin mount afterwards).

Kerby...

9. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

Thank you for your advice rodlrock and Kerby Ross. Looks like some warm weather here this weekend so I'm going to give it a try.

10. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

I am extremely happy with my first attempt at mold making. It's by far from being perfect and I have a lot of sculpting work to do on it ,but, "it was fun" and I recognize a lot of things I need to do different on the next ones. Biggest thing is a larger bed next time because it was too weak at the tail and I broke the tip off.

Details is awesome and I think a few casts (I hope) will help me learn more about painting.

Thank you for the advice and thanks for all the feedback you guys gave Ken earlier this year. I picked up a lot of knowledge from what you passed on during his attempts.

Attached Files:

11. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Its cold here !!!! 14 below this morning . I am casting today or I should say pouring foam. I just wanted to share a tip I figured out last week .

You can control the temp on any product you are using from silicone to bondo to plastic products by placing them ( the container ) in the sink or a pan of warm water.

Give it a try, you will be surprise at the results.

12. Kerby Ross

During.....

During the winter I put mine in front of the wood stove before I use them.

:)

Kerby...

13. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

Thanks for the tips. It was about 68 when I did it. No problem at all pouring. I really enjoyed it and ready for more. :)