1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Would like to know about stripers

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by tarponfan, Jan 3, 2013.

1. tarponfan

tarponfan Member

Howdy folks - I'm just getting started with fish - focused on largemouth and having some success (also some laughable failures) - looking ahead to maybe trying something different in the spring and thinking about stripers - not monsters but maybe in the 28 -30" range. I see a DVD on painting which I will get if I decide to get into it. Does anyone know of a DVD or VCR tape which covers skinning / mounting? I don't see anything in the WASCO catalog.
    Can you tell me if there are major differences between the process for stripers vs. largemouth? Am I getting into something where I'll be in way over my head? I'd be grateful for any comments - Thanks.

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I thought it said strippers. Something I know plenty about. Stripers....haven't a clue. sorry

3. tarponfan

tarponfan Member

Antlerman, If that is your wife or significant other in your picture my advice would be to stay home and don't worry about strippers.....(no offense meant !!)

4. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

No major differences strippers are oiler especially the big ones , head has a lot tougher bones, I use a air chisel on them

5. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

no offense taken.....she's my private stripper. met her at church. she was a nun. I converted her. LOL

6. tarponfan

tarponfan Member

...........Can I get the address of that church ??

7. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I think Rick Crane has one that he sells.

8. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

A repro head is the way to go, vary oily fish. Some good heads out there, get one with the mouth detail in it. The size differance my be a problem for some. I use a long dry wall screw (5in) driven in to the head end of the form, with an inch or so left out, then bondo the head on to the form. the screw gives the bondo some thing to grip and it suports the joint. Look up post on degreasing your fish, you will need to know that to.
    Spell check not working for me, posting anyway.

9. You can clean a striper head, you just need to remove everything that is not skin. I mount a few 50lb plus stripers every year and use the real head. Since 1977 I have not had ever one bleed grease!! If its meat or cartilage it is removed, the skin is washed and then degreased is solvent.

10. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

Probably a stupid question but I have caught alot of biggins from plum island in Mass. Now is there a difference in oil glands in head from those sea run ones than those here in AZ that are landlocked?

11. JL

A striper is a striper no matter where it lives. Inland will be just as greasy.Yes you can mount them with the original head and with good success if you are patient and skilled. But if you are going to rebuild all the shrinkage with epoxy, why not just use an epoxy replica of the head. If you have issues over the correct size, simply mould the head yourself for an exact reproduction of the original. Just my opinion....JL

12. jake7719

JL, really a Taxidermist for 60 years! Wow, I would be happy if I live until 60.

13. JL

Tarponfan...yesterday, Jan 11 was my birthday 77 so now it's 62 years. Hang in there fella! JL

14. jake7719

Happy B-Day, you a VET? Would love to sit around the kitchen table and shoot the $hit with some one with your live experience.

15. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

X2

16. JL

Actually a Corpsman...8 years in the Navy and a year attached to the Marine Corps. Did taxidermy everywhere I was stationed even did some fish while at sea...lol

17. jake7719

I was a corpsmen for 10 years, them "Jar Heads" had a way of getting into trouble didn't they. I was 8404 and went USMC reg. and spent all 10 with them. I loved that job. Got out and went in to the Army where I retiered from. Didn't get into taxidermy until I was out of the military.

18. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

My teacher always used the real heads. When I got a really big one I went with a replica head because it seemed like there was so much meat compared to a trout and the scale pattern would have been too difficult for me to match. I had a really hard time finding a replica head that would fit. Most just sold whole fish blanks. Finally, Rick Krane asked someone who only sold whole blanks to just make a head for me. What a guy. It fit really well and looked awesome. Since then I learned a technique from a very reputable taxidermist who removes the entire top skin, does all the apoxy work and then puts the skin back on to blend. It seemed a lot easier to me than what I went through. One thing I like about taxidermy is there's lots of ways to do things.

19. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Would love to sit around the kitchen table and shoot the $hit with some one with your live experience...I guarentee it would be more interesting than sitting around the table talking with someone with dead experience. LOL! Just think how boreing that would be.

Way ta go JL, happy b-day

Try and skin the strippper with out bending the skin, as little as posible so scales wont pop off. You will probably loose some. As stated, clean head really good. I even take a little meat out of the inside of the mouth, on both sides of the lower jaw. More epoxie work. Degrease good, seal good. When painting, put some damn silver on it. So many around here with creme colored sides, white belly, dark back. Looks great, unfortunately, that's not how they look fresh out of the water. One now, hanginging in wallmart about 50 lbs., guys all proud of it. Looks good, cept it needs repainting.

20. highlander

highlander "There can be only One"

Are these colors anywhere close to what they should look like???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]