1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How long is a bass good in a freezer

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by gallowy2, Jan 3, 2013.

1. gallowy2

gallowy2 New Member

I just had a good friend call me about a fish that he had dropped off at another taxidermist 3 years ago. The fish has not been completed yet and he was wondering if it still could be mounted. I told him he could try to pick up the fish and bring it to me. I do not fill it will be in any kind of shape to mount. I believe a replica will be the best option. Has anyone messed with fish that have been frozen for over a year? If so how long is too long.

2. they can stay in a freezer for alot longer than that..
    never seen one that i could not mount yet.. if it was in a wet towel and plastic bagged they last for many years.. have some of my own competition fish saved that way for over 10 years and know for sure there fine. the only prob i have had with real old fish is sometimes what ever side there sitting on in freezer, grease will sometimes bleed into skin on that side, so i use the other side for showside.
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,306528.msg2102791.html#msg2102791

3. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

I mounted an eight pound bass once that only weighed around three pounds when I got it. It had been in the freezer for eight years without even being wrapped or in a bag. It floated like a cork when I put it in my relaxing solution. I weighted it down and it took almost a week to get it relaxed enough to work on.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

I would say by now the fish is almost assuredly dead. You're welcome. Probably fine to mount though as long as it was wrapped well. DS

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

LMB are very forgiving. I mounted one once that had been in the freezer for 9 years. I'd go with a skin mount if possible.

6. Rogerst

Rogerst Member

i mounted a walleye that was in the freezer for 17 years. i was not able to relax the head and hd to use an artificial but the rest was just fine. three years is nothing, just take your time when skinning

7. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

18 years on a brook trout!

8. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I got tired of the customer calling so I figured I better do it! LOL

9. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    Dont wory dude, that thing will be good in the freezer forever. It lacks opposable thumbs so it'll never get out!

10. Get it soak it a couple hours in Dawn, the skin it amount and get paid.

11. gallowy2

gallowy2 New Member

Thanks, I will give it a try. I would have never thought fish would last that long. The only thing I question is if the ice storm a few years back might have hurt it. The entire area was without power for about three weeks or more. I will just have to see. Thanks for all the help.