1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Easiest whitetail mount?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mtbehm, Jan 6, 2013.

1. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

Looking to do my first ever whitetail mount here pretty soon and was wondering what the easiest form to use for a first mount is? Thanks alot, Matt

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I would recommend a straight semi-sneak position. Its just a little easier to slide the hide over than a full upright and a straight position is a little easier for you to line upthe key markers of the cape to the form to keep them symetrical. Good luck and have fun with it!

3. There is no such thing when your doing your first few. Just get one you feel looks easy. ;)

4. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

dennis is right the first one all are hard get the one you like the best and go for it

5. mikehurt88

mikehurt88 Member

When I did my first I did a straight upright form and it was pretty difficult getting the hide onto the form...I'm now working on my second which is a semi-sneak and its way easier getting the hide over it. Apart from that its all been about the same. It really comes down to what you want to do though.

6. ktmhrs

ktmhrs Member

This being your first deer, ordering the correct size form will go a long way. You will probably have trouble finding a form that is the exact measurements of your deer so get the next size that is smaller. It is easier to build up a manikin than it is to shrink one.

7. I would use one with the ear placement located on the forms as well as one with the back of the head pre-sculpted. I really like the OTS (Ohio Taxidermy Supply) forms. They have some of the the earbutt anatomy sculpted in and give you a good reference point by having this in. If your cape is properly fit to the form and the form is anatomically correct, the hide should go on fairly easily. When you are pulling the hide on make sure not just to pull from the top back portion of the hide but equally pull from the front as well as back of head.

8. DickGJ

DickGJ Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!

I don't know about you, but a White-tail RUMP mount looks pretty easy! LOL! ::)

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

My first one took about 18 hours, 5 phone calls to my mentor, on a Saturday, it wasn't easy. So the form really doesn't matter on the first one, but I think a full sneak will be easier to sew, if you already have a mile or two of stitching under your belt, which you don't. So sewing is going to suck no matter what form you choose, LOL.

10. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Hint...buy a cheap form and don't overdo the antler set.

11. GC424

GC424 New Member

lmao and thats the truth

12. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

what do you mean don't overdue the antler set?

13. livbucks

Attach firmy but not excessively so. If it is a mount you will be keeping, you may one day want to remove the antlers and you will be cursing yourself for using too many screws. You will understand down the road some day why I say that.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. We are open 24/7 for your convenience.

14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I did a deer butt a few years ago and it wasn't as easy as one would believe. Not a lot of good reference out there.

15. The easiest mount is the one you take to another taxidermist ;D :p

16. Mason

Mason Active Member

All good answers.
    I feel full sneak poses are a bit easier to taxi the skin over.

17. Tree Dog

Tree Dog New Member

Tn
    I'm glad this question was asked. I am about to do my first wt shoulder mt. Not trying to hijack but I found a Matt Thompson 8500 wall pedestal form that I really like. How hard would it be to try that form for my first? I've also thought about A McKenzie's upright form also I believe it's a 9600 or 9700 with an offset shoulder.

18. livbucks

You will find that it doesn't really matter all that much what pose. The lipline, nose, eyes and ears are going to be your largest feat and all forms have them. If you need to sew a lot just bag it and take a week if it comes to that. I would stay away from any pedestals but otherwise just buy what you like...and cheap...(and don't overdo the antler attachment, LOL!).

Just have faith in yourself and go for it.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

New guys,,, your first mount is going to be a challenge period, nothing is going to make the first one easy. They only get easier the more you do them.

20. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

If you want to be a taxidermist you might as well learn to sew at the same time. Cut the cape all the way up the back that way you can lay it out stretch it properly and order the right size form. DO NOT get in the habit of ordering form to small to make your job easier. And if you want the advanced sewing/taxidermy lesson then cut the throat and split the brisket . . . now we're talking reality. Take your time , use references and use good forms,eyes and hide paste. Good luck