1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blue phase Ross

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by brazosboyt, Jan 7, 2013.

1. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Or maybe bpr x snow.
    I said I wasn't going to hunt anymore before I went to Alaska this weekend but I'm sure glad I did. I've killed a Tonna Ross and blues over the years but this has always been number one on my list. I always shoot for the smallest blues in the flock and lookie what I got.

Regular Ross on right.
    [​IMG]

Reg blue on left.
    [​IMG]

Side by side with Ross close up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

By all means Keep Hungting... That is a great bird and will make a fantastic mount. But then again if you want to gift him to me I'll be glad to take him off your hands..LOL. I'll be down in Arkansas the end of the month hope I come across one.

3. Ranger8292

Ranger8292 New Member

Congrats, I have been hunting on Coastal Prairie since 97 and have only heard of very few taken.

Better go by a LOTTO Ticket

Joel

4. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

Beautiful bird, congrats!

5. Buddha14524

Buddha14524 New Member

out of all the snows we get here every year in Lex we only got one of them guys and they come through here THICK good job

6. eider92

eider92 New Member

beautiful goose congratulations!

Alberto

7. nswiken

nswiken Well-Known Member

Nice bird, to be sure, but I'm thinking it might be a hybrid Ross/snow. The picture of the bills shows a pretty prominent "grin patch" on the blue phase, which is not present in the Ross bill.

8. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

The more I read it seems the general though is all bpr's are some level of hybrid.

The little bit of black in the grin patch.
    Beside regular blue.
    [​IMG]

Better close up.
    [​IMG]

Same upper lip but just a little more black on bottom.
    [​IMG]

9. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

10. nswiken

nswiken Well-Known Member

They're spooning.

11. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Huhhuh.....huhuh.......woodie.......spoon.......

12. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

Spooning leads to forking

13. Avian Preservation

Avian Preservation New Member

I worked at a shop where we collected, and sent tissue samples to the Smithsonian for DNA analysis on Blue goose, Blue Ross goose and hybrids of the two. I saw many of each, and I would say that's a Blue goose/Blue Ross goose hybrid.

14. Also notice how the blue Ross doesn't have warts at the base of its bill like the regular Ross does. I would also say Ross/blue snow hybrid.

15. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

We shoot close to 200 ross And 80% of Them have no warts. I've read only older male birds have the warts. Also read where pretty much all bpr are female. There's just not a lot of info out there.

16. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

Just thought I'd add this to the thread ...

"Blue-phase Lesser Snow Geese have hybridized with Ross' Geese in captivity and one wild hybrid was observed (NWTerritories 1970) ... "

1979 American Ornithologists' Union
    Abstract:
    The existence of wild, blue-phase Ross' Geese (Chen rossii) and blue-phase geese intermediate in size and other characteristics between Ross' and Lesser Snow Geese (Chen caerulescens caerulescens) was verified by collection. Winter populations of Ross' and Lesser Snow Geese in California contained less than 0.02% blue-phase birds. Of these blue-phase geese, 8% were Ross', 77% were Lesser Snow, and 15% were intermediate in size. Intermediate blue-phase geese are probably the result of hybridization. Blue-phase Ross' Geese could originate from back-crossing of hybrids and/or recurrent mutation. Genes for blue feather color were probably eliminated from ancestral populations of Ross' Geese and may presently be prevented from reestablishment in the gene pool by hunter and/or predator selection.

17. mimes

mimes Member

I agree that only the older males have the warts. I would call it a second year blue ross and not lose any sleep over it!

18. im4dux

im4dux New Member

Who cares what exactly it is! Cool friggin bird!!!!