1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Crappie paint advise

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by tmf48, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Many black crappie here in Central Virginia have very little if any of the gold/yellow base color. The most common base color here is a silver color, almost dazzling aluminum, with a dark blue on the upper sides most of the time. Which airbrush paints do you guys prefer to get the silver and blue base colors? This a photo of what most crappie here look like.

Attached Files:

2. PaBear

PaBear New Member

I like to put some color down on paper plate until I get the mixture or combination that matches my reference.

Bear

3. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Skin mount or replica? How you paint makes a difference. I use artists paints now, but I'll try to assist nonetheless. You probably want an iridecent Mica based "pearl" to get the reflective effect you describe as dazzling aluminum. In taxidermy paints LT chrome pearl would be an option. More white than aluminum, or go with a white pearl altogether. You can make that yellow or not with subsequent transparent mists. PT deep blue green might be a jumping off point for the markings. Darken with paynes grey or black or dark blue as necessary. Hope that isn't crappy paint advise.
    Best, Scott

4. Skin mount or replica? That does not matter.

When you do the silver base hold the airbrush way back and use a lot of air pressure. Then USe silver pearl and do the same. It should go on almost dry. then give it a little clear to very very lightly to set the pearl.

After you do the markings, dry mist Blue pearl over the top. Go easy you want this dry totally standing on end! that will give you the sparkle you want.

5. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

I do however see gold/yellow in that pic. It determines how much you're using. Yellow is STRONG in small amounts.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. 1fish2fish

John,
    I'd have to say the color of the canvas you are painting on makes a difference.
    Best, Scott

7. tmf48,
    I like to use a little Chrome Pearlescence (Polytranspar), to give your crappie that silvery/white/chrome color coming up from the belly area...

Attached Files:

8. 1fish2fish

Good example Don,
    Though I don't recollect PT having a chrome pearl other than Chrome violet pearl. Separately, I also agree with Cory that there is a faint yellow in the reference pic, little, but some.
    Best, Scott

9. Scott,
    You are correct. 975 Chrome Pearlescence is a Lifetone paint, not Polytranspar...

10. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

When doing a skin mount crappie it is really easy to use to much paint. Colors that are transparent work the best for me with cappie. all the paints the posts list will work well.

11. Thanks for all the help guys!

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The "best" way to paint a skin mounted crappie is NOT to paint it. As jake said, less is better with these guys. Only paint what absolutely needs to be painted, get in really close, and just MIST the area being painted.

13. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

LOL!! That is probably the best advice ever given on painting a crappie. As someone who has competed with skin mount crappies (I am a glutton for punishment), I use very little paint. I have found that silver has its place, but on lower scales a white pearl Liquid Scale with a very small mist of chrome pearl over hits the mark. I very rarely hit any of the dark markings, if I do it is a few tiny dots to enhance whats there, not cover it up.

14. Larry_Q

Larry_Q New Member

Is that 1 of your blanks Dondi ?