1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermist News

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by SteveP, May 13, 2007.

1. SteveP

SteveP New Member

I need to know if a 1939 copyright of Taxidermist news by M. J. Hofmann Co. is in the public domain yet. My dad bought a copy from an antique store recently, and I wanted to scan and share some of the pictures and information from this publication. I don't have much in the form of taxidermy history, and I found it very interesting. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    I used to work for MJ over 35 years ago. By all means please continue to investigate the public domain concerns because the old magazines are truly a store house of archives and information. If you don't mind, I'd like to have a professional ruling on the topic itself. Let's keep in touch about it.

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Gosh, what I wouldnt do to get some of that old stuff!

4. SteveP

SteveP New Member

This is all I've found so far. These are related to items published in the U.S.

1923 through 1963 Published with notice but copyright was not renewed7 In the public domain
    1923 through 1963 Published with notice and the copyright was renewed7 95 years after publication date2

I don't know how to find out if their copyright was renewed.

Any other help would be appreciated.

5. Bagger99

Bagger99 New Member

That's to cool. I'd like to spend some time checking that out, what a treasure.

6. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Yeah, and my dad wants it back! After this weekend, I'll be doing some very serious searching and phone calling to get the scoop on the legality of copying the pages.

7. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Publishing and copying articles for yourselves are two entirely different concepts. Libraries routinely copy or Xerox (or now-a-days make a PDF) of articles out of journals or magazines for individuals in the name of doing research or for personal study. The articles may be covered by certain provisions within Title 37. You can read some of this, if you understand legalese, at http://www.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_00/37cfr201_00.html - click to get the PDF of 201.39 Notice to Libraries and Archives of Normal Commercial Exploitation or Availability at Reasonable Price

Whether the Hoffman publications are copyrited, is a good question.

Mr. Yox - surely you must have copies of a few of these old Taxidermist News. They aren't that uncommon. I have originals of 12 and Xerox copies of the other three. If you have these three, I have duplicates to trade if you are in possession of them. I need originals of 11, 14 and 15 which I would gladly trade some duplicate originals of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,7, 8, and 10.

8. SteveP

SteveP New Member

PA, thanks for the resources. I, er, my dad has a no. 2 original. This is the only one that I've ever seen, so I don't know which one to trade copies for. I'd let you pick the one with the most birds, if that's possible. Another problem is that I can only get partial pages with my scanner. So, it's up to you it you think it's worth the hastle. I just wanted to share some of what I thought were the most interesting parts of this issue with some of the others that have never seen any or all of these. I like and appreciate history, but would not consider myself a history buff (my life's just too busy for another hobby). So when I do stumble onto a piece like this, I think it's too interesting to keep to myself. (I tried sharing it with my wife, but..... well, most of you already know how that story goes. ;))