1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Markers when mounting

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by GC424, Jan 8, 2013.

1. GC424

GC424 New Member

This may be another stupid question but here it goes? :-[ What markers on the cape do you use when mounting a deer and in what order.

2. ??? what markers are you talking about ???

3. GC424

GC424 New Member

hair patterns on the cape

4. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

Every one is going to jump all over me for posting the way I mount a WTD. First is a test fit, the brisket, it is all pinned in place. the nose pad centered and lower jaw. corners of the mouth. then the front corner of the eye and the back, all this with med. sized pins. Now the ears and around the antler burrs. If you have the right size form and antlers set right, you should only have about a 1in seam to sew up. Now add glue as you pull out the pins and place the hide back in place in the same order. Staple up the hide to the back board, do not pull it tight, but leave it lose(push some hide forwards) Face is now glued and pinned in same order. Sew it up. Tuck every thing in the same order, I re pin as I tuck. Do the eyes. last. I remove pins as I make adjustments as it drys. Everything should fall in to place. If any thing is off it willI "snow ball" and show up in the eyes for the most part. USE REFERANCE PICTHERS of short and long hair deer. "If it is tight it ain't right" This is what works for me.

5. GC424

GC424 New Member

thanks for having the courage to answer lol ;)

6. jake7719

Wrong word but spelled right. "picture" is what I meant. Thank you for getting out your little red pen and making that correction. What are you a school teacher or just anul retentive? If that is the worst mistake I made today I'm having a really good day. You must have a sad life hanging around this form correcting everyone on grammar and spelling. We have found the only perfect person in the world, Brad Jones.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jake, give up the martyrdom. Why would we jump all over you for the order you mount in? I mount the brisket first and actually staple the hide down. The face is last for me. I do the mouth, the nose, the nostrils, front corner of the eye, lachrymal, and save the eyelids for the very last.

8. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Sounds good to me Jake. I don't see a problem with it. Only I set my nose before my mouth so I know how much skin to tuck whereas George goes the other way.

9. jake7719

Just from my experience posting and reading post on this forum, some people really think that the way they do it is the only way to do it and if you don't do it like them you are wrong. Someone posted on how they did WTD a few months back and a bunch of post were made hammering him.
    A few people really screw it up for everyone, some real Holes and bullies on this forum, but its like that every where.
    George and antlerman are not the "few" on this forum and are really helpfull.
    My whole life I have "swam up stream" and been a "lose cannon" mix that with a vary sarcastic seance of humor and you got me.
    Love me or hate me, respect me or fear me is my philosophy in life. No gray area or fence sitting with me.
    PS. I really like to "push peoples button" and my not be playing with a "full deck" or is that dic-.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

With an ego like that, your future is likely to be self-fulfilling.

11. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i do the brisket and the back. then the nose and mouth. sew it up. then the eyes. 8)

12. jake7719

Get that out of a fortune cookie or what? You make it sound like having a ego is a bad thing, George. Some people call it self confidence. Past my bed time, everyone sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bit.

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I do the nose, then lips, then lachrymal crease, then eye lids,then ears, then sew, then just run the glue and hide on around to the back board (no staples), then glue and staple the brisket. Hows that for bass akwards.

14. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Don't sound backwards to me, except that not stapling part.

15. jake7719

Yes Brad I am thin skinned, especially on my butt, I moisturize with coco butter every day so I don't get ashy. I don't use my butt much, mostly for pooping. Some peoples butt have really thick skin, from sitting on it all the time. I do have thick skin on my hands from years of hard work.
    My button got pushed years a go, got stuck in the on position.

16. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

::)

17. jake7719

Anyone with a sence of humor out there, Hello, is this mike on? :eek:

18. Paul C

Paul C New Member

Are you coming to the PTA convention this year Jake? You would be amazed at what you'll learn.

19. jake7719

Thinking about it, got to check out what the seminars are on the PTA site. If I am going to spend money I need to learn something usefull. It needs to save me money, make me money or improve my work, always room for improvement. Went 2 times before, it was OK, left with some good info. The last couple of years it has been sort of "lame", so I did not go. I know that some people use that time as a sort of vacation and write it off as a tax deduction, but for me I would rather go to the Bahamas for vacation every year.

20. Paul C

Paul C New Member

If you didn't go how do you know it was "lame"? In 25+ years of conventions in 16 different states I've never seen one that was "lame". Some may be better than others but I've never seen one "lame".