1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

release alternatives?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by featherworks, Oct 5, 2006.

1. featherworks

featherworks New Member

Hello guys and gals. I am in the middle of making molds of lots of different sizes of granite rocks and I'm running low on release. I was wondering if there is something I could get from wal-mart or lowes that would do the same thing? I am currently using synair spray release. I've heard where some use cooking spray. Does this work. I am using GE 1 white silicone if that helps. the 3 molds I have already made work and look great. I'm just trying to do as many as I can without spending alot of money. thanks for any advise :-\

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Oil does work then you have silicone spray that they use on boots which works and also vaseline also works.

3. Niki

Niki Guest

I'm not familiar with those products, but I know that the original Armor All (for inside of cars and trucks) works well. It's better for the rubber if it's a urethane than the Pam cooking spray and other oils. It's similar to the silicone oils in a lot of universal releases. Good luck.
    ~ N

4. Terry Vining

Terry Vining last photo together

Mi
    When using silicone rubber I sometimes will use a release. I don't spray the mold every time I use it. If you want to cut down on release, use it only when your castings start to hang on to your mold. Release sprays are alot cheaper than rubber.

5. Hi Terry, rw here, I have used a couple of diferent silicon rubber for molds. But I was wondering what you would reccomend for good sturdy thick molds, 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness.I absent mindly bought some latex molding materials, I will use it for some things, but I like the thick stuff of bird and fish heads. Thanks, see you soon in the DevVos Center.

6. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

feather works: silicone will only "stick" to itself as far as a chemical bond goes, but it can mechanically bond to anything that is pourous, SO, mold release is not nearly as important as sealing the pours on those rocks. The other thing to consider is that some silicones- all platinum-based silicones, can have the cure inhibited by the presence of certain oils or chemicals, moisture, etc. In the case of platinum silicones, usually something like a spray on clear acrylic is all that is needed to allow a good cure and release. Most of the readily available silicones for the taxidermy industy are tin based and will set up just fine against almost anything. To answer your question for a readily available alternative mold release- I would agree with petroleum jelly- either strait or cut with a good grade of lacquer thinner and then brushed on. this will fill the pours and make the silicone much easier to release. Be careful of using calking type silicones, though lot's of people do- just don't use "adhesive" caulking if you aren't using a real mold release (not just sealer). Also, you can thicken silicone with cabosil and then trowel it on and it's thixotropic for a controlled moldwall thickness. Dave