1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Replacing ears.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Duckslayr, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Replacing ears on tanned capes is fairly straight forward, but I thought I would post this, as many don't realize it can be done with satisfactory results.

I recently got an antelope cape with a badly damaged ear. Rather than replacing the otherwise good cape, I decided to replace the ears. Note, you must replace both ears with a matching pair.

[​IMG]
    Here is the damaged ear

[​IMG]
    Start by marking the location of the V or notch at the bottom of the ear.

[​IMG]
    Cut around the ear just above the "notch". Repeat this process on the cape with the replacement ears. I might add at this point that it's a good idea to save slipped capes with good ears for just such an occasion. You can also try tanneries.

[​IMG]
    This is what your new ears should look like.

[​IMG]
    Now line up your reference marks an sow. Make sure you keep both sides even as you go

[​IMG]
    Here is the sown ear.

And the finished product.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Total time to replace both ears took 40 minutes. Hope this helps someone repair a cape when they are unwilling or unable to replace it.

2. Very nice! thanks for taking the time to share Jared.

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

Very nice Jared, thanks for sharing with us!

4. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Great save.
    Ralph

5. Very nicely done! Thanks for your help.

6. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

yep very good post. I have had to do this on fox more than once. your sewing job looks great as well. thanks

7. quest

quest Member

Utah
    Great job Jared!

quest

8. Awesome repair work, looks great, thanks for sharing!

9. m2bowhunter

m2bowhunter Member

Replacing ears.

Great job ! It looks like it was meant to be!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. Neverwood

Neverwood New Member

Thank you for sharing! I'm amazed at how seamless it is.

11. Replacing ears.

Thank you for sharing! Can you tell me which stitch you used and the type of thread is best for this.

12. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I use a whip stitch, but I lock it by passing my needle through the loop before I pull each stitch tight. Any non-stretch thread like fire line is great. If you are working on super short hair, I love thin waxed dental floss. It practically disappears when pulled tight.

13. Thank you! i have a deer to do this to and this tutorial will help alot.

14. Sweet, great job! One more trick I have learned on these tuturials, I love this stuff.