1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Velvet WT Buck Critique (5th Mount)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Rackmastr, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Hey All,

This is my 5th game head on my own (8th overall). My first velvet buck and first short-hair buck. It was a big challenge working on a few things and I learned A LOT that I'd do differently, challenges, etc but overall it turned out pleasing to the eye and hope my friend will like it as much as he likes the pics.

I can see a few issues with it already, the one eye is shaped differently and I had some issues with spraying the eyes too dark with my airbrush (working on misting lighter colours). He had some MAJOR ear damage that required some fixing and some very bad eyelid issues that took some stitching to fix.

Anyways, I'd love to hear any comments or critiques. I know I've got a ways to go but this one being short-haired sure is a good one to find problems or issues with and look to improve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Craig74

Craig74 New Member

I think for a 5th mount it looks very nice! Did you make your own earbutts?

3. Looking good Trev!

4. very nice clean mount

5. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

Man I have a hard time saying this, because I can't put a deer together that well, but the nose looks a little flat, not very wet looking. Again that is good looking mount.

6. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Overall I love the appearance of this mount. It is Waaaaaay beter than my fifth mount. I like the earbutts and the rotation. I like the shape of the right eye and the shading and warm colors around it. Here are a few things that I think can be improved. Like you stated you know the eyes dont match, the left eyelashes are coming off at a 90 degree angle versus a 45 down like they should. The eyes themselves look like they could be cleaned and polished more, especially in the front corners. It appears there is overspray on them still. Another thing is the dark overspray around the nosepad and lower lip. Especially on short haired deer where the hair is thin in these areas it is important to be carefull with the dark paints.What really adds life to mounts is to start out hitting these areas with a warm flesh tone prior to painting the lip and nose. After drying clean the hairs and the pink skin will show through. Then when painting your nose and lip make sure you mask off the flesh toned areas. You can use your finger, but I use some card stock that is trimmed to match the profile of the side of the nose or the bottom of the lower lip. That will really clean your mounts up. And it looks like there is still some pink paint on the hairs on the front inside of the ears. Make sure all overspray is cleaned. Overall great job on your fifth mount! Well ahead of the curve.

7. mccraw23

mccraw23 New Member

Very nice!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. alexm

alexm New Member

What sticks out to me is the white patch

9. Looks pretty good other than things already mentioned. It looks a little over painted does not have a soft look to it. The wrinkles in the neck look unnatural like it has to big of form and was stretched to much if that makes sense. I think the ears and butts look great other than the paint. The finished back also looks great. Nice job for not doing very many. Looks like there is some over spray on the hair around the nose. Hope this helps. Keep up the good work.

10. Looks really clean, what sticks out to me is with short haired deer, there doesn't appear to be a lot of facial detail, might have been the manakin or it was roughed up too much and the veining, lip line were removed. Overall it's very nice IMO. Enter in a state competition and listen to the critique from the judges. Bottm line, was your customer happy with their mount?

11. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Nice keep up the good work ;)

12. Thanks for the comments guys. As I kinda guessed, most of the comments stem from overspray, painting, etc. Its something I need to work on and starting to learn a few little tricks to make things more subtle in shades and colours. I'll go over this guy once to see if I can clean up any overspray spots before giving it to my buddy. He's super happy with the pics and I'm happy with the work and the progress for my 5th head.

I just put together an Aoudad and it almost fell in to place after working on this short haired deer that hairy Aoudad seemed simple!! Hah.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The paint is to heavy and harsh IMO. And a lot of over spray around the lip and nose pad and nostrils. Less paint is more. The neck wrinkles looks more like bunched up cape than skin creases. A good mount for your friend, he should be proud to have it.

14. I'm learning the 'less is more' principle with every mount I've done. The one thing that stood out to me was the paint as soon as it was done.

The neck wrinkles are the product of a form that was a bit too tight mixed with the sharp turn. I attempted to make them look like 'wrinkles' but agree that they bunched up more than anything. I learned another good lesson about cape size measurement. Sure can get away with a bit more on a long haired November cape, but this one showed my flaw.

Thanks again for the comments. Its a fun learning experience for sure!

15. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

5Th deer very nice. Try this take a tooth brush and brush the nose,eyes and inside of the ears it softens the paint and will clean the paint of the hair. Also gloss the nose they are always licking their noses. Great job want to see your tenth!

16. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

I really like this mount for being your 5th deer done..im not a seasoned professional but i did notice to much over spray as was stated before...shorthair's are my favorite !! well done