1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bleach /water mixture.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by linder, Jan 11, 2013.

1. linder

linder New Member

What is the amount of Bleach to the amount to Water to spray on an iffy cape.

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Hudson gave a round about answer....I'll be more direct. ZERO is the correct amount! Keep chlorine bleach out of and off of your capes, pickles and tans.

It is an excellent germicide when diluted and used to clean tools, workbenches and floors. As Hudson stated it has a high pH and will cause epidermal and hair slip. Get stop rot...

Ever spill a little bit of chlorine bleach and get it on your hands? Hard to wash off isn't it? The slimy feeling comes about as a reaction of the chlorine bleach with your skin and the oils within your skin. It is quite damaging to hides, collagen, hair and epidermis.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Lets all remember this, or Mike will yell at you,,,,, ;-)

4. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

Hudson, WHAT !?
    Cyclone, good advice.
    As for bleach as a disinfectant it will kill bacteria, germs, viruses and molds. Use 10% bleach to 90% water for this, let it sit on the surface for 60 sec., then wipe off.
    Bleach has its place in a taxidermy shop. I use a 20% solution to deslime my fish. I also use a 50% solution to lighten dark fish after they dry, I just brush it on, let it lighten the fish, then use 100% water in a spray bottle to rinse it off. You have to let it dry again after that.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Fish do not have hair to get slip.

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I know I don't..I like making things up. ::)

7. linder

linder New Member

thank you all for he answers .