1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Yoxathon locations

Discussion in 'Training' started by Bill Yox, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

The way I determine Yoxathon locations is simple, I either throw a dart at a map, and show up hoping for the best, or...

I look for a good location, meaning a decent working taxidermy shop or a good building with lots of lighting and electric. It needs to be near a major airport, and have a couple of lodging choices within a short driving distance, plus a few places to grab some lunch and dinner. Along with that, 4 solidly interested students, ready to commit to a date. The host may feel free to oversee or assist, but theres enough going on that it isnt a position to be a student and host.

The students must be able to bring a good sized cape properly tanned, and antlers to go with it. I dont reccomend customer mounts, but, if you wanna hand it over to a guy who paid for a commercial mount, its your call. I have most of the supplies for you already. Larger deer work better, as the supplies fit better and the details are easier to teach on bigger deer. Bring hand tools, mount stands, reference and whatever else you might want there.

Each class is priced a bit differently based on the distance and the overhead I run into. Each class is a bit different, depending on who may drop by, or what we might be able to visit, like a deer farm, etc. Sometimes past students of mine come out to help, too.

Hopefully that gives some of you some answers to the most frequently asked questions!

2. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

I have never been to a yoxathon.... But having bill work a little bit in my show was enlightening! I though i knew a little about deer.....This guy knows whitetail like no one I have ever seen.... But I can tell you he can take any skin of what ever species and read it like a map!! And if that is not enough he is a real fun guy to have around. For a Yankee that is!! LOL

3. I vote for Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin or Minnesota.

4. Bill Yox

I think Jim Willard might like to do another one in MN, we had fun last time...

5. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

My place is always available too Bill, and Steve has the new deer pens built and loaded with some of the biggest stuff in the country and some that are puppy dog tame now as well. It never quite worked out to go there in the past, and there really was no need. The old deer weren't that tame and with a 100 acre pen there was no guarantee they would have come up to the barn either. But that's all changed now so we could get some up close time with them if we wanted. Just throwing it out there for you. Oh yeah, that two year old I was scoring came in at 191 4/8 with no spread. 10pt frame with 3 drops, a couple of split brows and a couple of stickers, but basically pretty clean. Not bad huh? LOL

6. I'd love to go to a Yoxathon at Antlerman's!

7. jvan

jvan Member

ma
    come back to Rick Cranes!

8. Bill Yox

To those who are serious, just PM me a location and Ill start making a list, Ill sure try anything we can. To those who are just wishing, I still am flattered! ;)

9. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Bill you can always come South. I have a 100 x 60 shop and only a few minutes from Myrtle Beach....DC

10. BigER

BigER New Member

I would definitely be down for one around Myrtle Beach! ;D

11. O would be in for Myrtle Beach also..

12. hardcase

hardcase I can do all things through Christ.Philippians4:13

NC
    Raleigh, NC or Myrtle Beach SC

13. Bill Yox

OK, if I can get 4 or 5 SERIOUS students for Myrtle Beach, Ill try. Its cool to just have me on the wishlist, but if youre dead serious, and ready to roll, let me know by PM or phone. Thanks.

14. coondoggie

coondoggie Member

Are you set up for classes at your new place in Georgia ?

15. Bill Yox

No I do not plan to take students here, sorry.

16. Bill Yox

Well, I asked the interested guys wanting NC or SC to contact me, and I got one guy that did. Now everyone, you see how we schedule Yoxathon locations! Lol. The bugger is, as soon as I pick an alternate location in a different state, you KNOW what Ill hear! Thanks either way everyone, I still really appreciate the interest and the kind words! I guess out next stop is Texas, when MP gets a date set!

17. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Sorry i missed this, I have been slammed....I'll call ya monday...DC

18. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Any chance of a PA session? Any other PA taxi's interested in getting Bill up here? Unfortunately, my shop is not big enough, but maybe someone else could host?

19. bzb_1

bzb_1 Member

I'd more than likely be in for a PA one. I wanted soooo bad to commit to the Jersey one but was getting married the same month or very close to it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. Bill Yox

The PA gig could happen, I have a spot but need to work out some logistics. It may have to be early next year though, although again, Im not positive. I sure will let everyone know asap, by posting it in taxinet. I surely do appreciate the interest.