1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

coyote tanning

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Silver_bullet04, Jan 14, 2013.

1. What's the best way to do coyote tan in house, ive krowtanned a few last year, tanned nice, but bottom of tail the hair fell out,
    a fellow taxidermist said the tan wasnt reaching it BC it wasnt split, so I split this one. Can the skin be dp'ed or tanned the best way thanks for the help

2. You don't have to split it, just make sure when you salt it, the salt gets all the way to the end and then you can also run a small rope or string thru the end of the tail to wick the pickle and tan thru all the way. I have tanned 2 yokes with lutan f and 2 with turbos 1000.... Love both tans, but I use turbine for everything I do now

3. Thanks

4. Just read my post...turbos and turbine is supposed to be trubond 1000. Haha darn autocorrect

5. I've tanned a bunch of yotes with KT and never had a problem, but I do split the tail all the way.
    Jim

6. Just make sure the KT gets down in the tail. I have done many yote and fox with KT and I normally take a large animal syringe and squirt a lot of Kt down the tail.

7. Thanks guys ill give it a wurl, do you squeeze the water out after u pick it up out the tan a inch or two? Seems like when im rinsing it falls out usually....lol was confused a little on turbos and turbines. Lol

8. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

If it was submerged well in the KT, there is another issue causing the hair to fall out. Either a chunk of the tip left in the tail, the tip got folded up while soaking in the KT and didn't get penetration, or there was a problem there to begin with. I use KT with yotes and fox all the time and never have any problem that could be assigned to the KT - and I never split the tails.