1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bloody mess

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by sdrenth, Jan 14, 2013.

1. sdrenth

sdrenth New Member

MI
    A guy brought this deer in to me and said he had it hanging upside down in his garage for 6 days! So it was a little swollen, he said. I opened up the bag and the deer looked like it was about to POP! I didn't realize how much harder it was going to make skinning and fleshing. It was by far the messiest deer Ive ever worked on but it is looking like everything is going to come out fine.

What are some of the worst conditions you have ever received a deer and still been able to save it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steve

2. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Yep, have had plenty of those, usually from ice bags melting in the chest cavity. They sure do make a mess to skin out. They usually tan and mount just fine though. I have had a few swelled up worse than that. Looked like a SharPei dog. I actually never lost a cape till this year. It was swelled like that but had been hanging in a tree for four days with daytime temps near 70. Not good. It was purple around the lips and eyes and it stunk like holy hell. Eveything in between the meat and hide was slime. It was so bad I had to skin it outside, and I can handle geen bellied coyotes and dead bodies that have been undiscovered for a while. But that thing was ripe. Stop rotted it and tried anyway. Shed during the rehydration process. Oh well, you can't save them all and you can't fix stupid.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I hate that, they are buggers to flesh out when they are water logged.

4. striker12

striker12 Member

Been there to many times.

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

Saw way too many this season like that. They are fun to work with!(LOL) Haven't had any issues as far as slipping though, just alot of bloodwater everywhere!

6. jorgy

jorgy Member

No doubt about it, those suck! Should charge more because they take longer for sure

7. I don't get to many that way but hate it when I do.

8. sdrenth

sdrenth New Member

MI
    Well it sounds like this wont be my last time working on one like this! I don't understand how someone even considering having their buck mounted would let it sit for that long. If they were thinking of bringing it to a taxidermist, why let it sit around and swell up? and in some cases start to rot.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

They do not know that what they are doing is wrong. Just skin it, and hang it nose up for a few hours and let it drain.

10. sdrenth

sdrenth New Member

MI
    Oh okay I see. Thanks Low T, I will do that with the next one!

11. ra8point

ra8point Member

Is there a difference in the quality of the meat by the way the deer is hung? I see them hung by the head and by the back legs. Each time I ask, I'm told their way is the right way!

12. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Don't ask a deer hunter, ask a butcher. Hang them by the back legs.

13. ra8point

ra8point Member

I did some research just now on hanging deer. For the most, hanging by the back legs is the most prefer ed method by hunters, taxidermist and butchers. In 2009 RealTree took a national poll and concluded that 70% of the deer harvested were hung by the legs. However, the reason was split 3 ways: ease of skinning, per taxidermist as to not to ruin cape and the last was proper drainage.
    I also found it interesting that I read that more and more hunters are not field dressing their deer. They are filleting the back straps and then quartering it. Leaving everything inside the deer after skinning.
    You can also purchase an app for your Iphone from www. deer dummy.com for step by step instructions on this process.

14. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Most hunters don't know how to properly field dress a deer. 90% of the deer i get in for processing still have the anus and blader still in them, Why would you treat your food like that?

15. Is how we have done it for many years now, we never drop the guts. Course here in FL you can't hang them for more than it takes to clean them unless you have a walk in.

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Same as Dennis, that's how we've done it for a while

17. tem

tem Well-Known Member

so do you skin it. then quarter it out? or do you leve the hide on when quartering so mother earth doesnt get all over it?

18. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Skin it and quarter it

19. strutinh

strutinh Member

Pretty sure the main reason to hang by bacl legs is to cool the carcass, if you hang by head the body heat will stay trapped in rib cage with no were to go . more people loose moose up here becaues it looks cool to let them hang by the antlers

20. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

Thats how we do it around here as well... The only time we gut/field dress a deer is if we are giving it to someone and they are going to hang it over night, gut shot, or it is a big bodied deer and we have to drag it a ways and cannot get the 4wheeler in to it.

We rarely hang deer by the back legs here as well unless we are getting it mounted... other wise, we skin the majority of them using the golf ball method ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANNaQcyhdm4 ) , or just hang them by the neck and skin down. When all is said and done the only thing left in the tree is the head and backbone and ribs with the guts still inside unpunctured.