1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fixing a bad seam??

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DEERMEISTER, Jan 16, 2013.

1. I'm trying to repair a mount by someone else. Customer would not go with a fresh cape. Made numerous fix's on the face that helped a lot but can't get the seam down the back of this deer to lay down. I soaked it, carded it, hammered it. Tried hair spray and that stuff kids spike their hair with. All leave a sheen on the hair. Yall got any thing you use that doesn't make the hair looked glued down??? I have picked what hair I could out of the stitches and combed the hair across the seam instead of with the seam. Even used elmers glue. I'm about to call it good but thought someone might have another idea.

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Clay it for a week and then brush it out, see if it'll set them

3. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Try what Mike said and if it dosen't work tell him it is what it is.Buy a new cape or live with it. You get what you pay for I guess.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I tell them, but here's what I do when I get those. I take out my dog shears and carefully clip away all the wild hairs. I lay a bead of clear silicone down in the channel. From the backboard I start clipping "pinches" of hair and start laying them in the silicone from the bottom. I set them where they are slightly upwards and I continue until I cover the entire gap. I mist them with Windex(that makes the hair slick so the next step won't pull them out.) Then I stretch a paper towel between my hands and gently "scrape" it down the seam so all the hair contours to the neck profile.

5. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

I do the same thing George does to close the gapyou can even fold the stray hairs into the silicone. You can sprinkle some fine dirt onto the seam then brush off after dry to kill the shine.....DC

6. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

Do you have pictures any of this George?

7. I was thinking the same thing about pictures. What I've always used is plastic grid, you can get it at walmart in the craft section. Then I take some hair gel, put it on the hair to get it down, then I lay down the plastic grid over the top of the hair gel, and use T pins to hold it down. Leave it for for a week, remove gridding and comb out to get rid of shine. That method has always worked for me. I would like to see some pictures if George has some, seems like a really good method.

8. Gary B.

Gary B. Active Member

I agree with Micheal try the clay or wet it down and use Ivory bar soap applied from the bar, then card and hope a lot. LOL

Gary B.

9. George

Sorry folks, I don't have anything in the shop right now with that kind of issue. I use the same method to repair small slip spots as well.

Clay works exceptionally well on fresh hides, but one a hide hardens down, not much IN MY EXPERIENCE, will ever soften the hide enough to allow the hair to lay down. The hair is in the skin follicle and unless the skin can be altered, it ain't going down. Most hides form a "memory" and even though they may lay down when wet, tend to return to the position they were as they dry. The hair is going to follow the skin.

Ivory soap sounds like a very BAD idea. Ivory has a high pH and could damage, loosen, or dissolve the hair. I keep alkali products away from my hides.

10. It does completely make sense what you are saying, about a fresh hide, your able to get the hairs to do what you want them. But once the hide is dried, the hair is set in place. Ivory soap did sound a little odd to me as well. I'm sure your method you use works very well, you've done some great tutorials for sure!

11. You could rehydrate and cut the stitches out, sew it back up and use the clay method.

12. Gary B.

Gary B. Active Member

I have been using moisten Ivory bar soap for over 30 yr. as a hair gel replacement- learned about it many moons ago at a convention some where. I just throw the bar of soap into a dish of water and let it soften for a minute or so, then pick out the bar and rub on the hair you want to slick down or controll. It will dry fairly clear and I have had no problems since you are putting on top of the hair and away from the leather. After the mount is dry, simply comb out the soap, or if you put a lot on, wipe with some lacquer thinner on a paper towel after grooming- works great. Must be an Old old secret??

13. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

I have managed a few unruly hairs by misting with water and taking straight hair conditioner and smoothing over the area, mist again and work in the hair a little, smooth it down and let it dry. Most conditioners have a low ph ranging from 3.5 to 5.5 or so. Once it's dry you can't tell it was there once you brush it.

14. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Did you learn anything today George, you young GRASSHOPPER! LOL

15. George

Nope.