1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Silly I know...

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DogSoldierChick, Jan 18, 2013.

1. But I had to tell someone.... I skinned and fleshed my first animal today. A bobcat. It was quiet an experience and I loved it. No holes though I was a little slow. He is salted now and I have several projects
    to prepare for tanning but I'm am really excited about it all. Sorry I know this is kinda juvenile but I had to share with someone besides my mom who made a terrible face and said my crazy daughter and my husband who said that's nice honey what's for supper.

2. cremmick

cremmick New Member

Sweet! Wait until you put it on a form and start bringing it back to life. The actual mounting process is the fun part. Good work.

3. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

good for you!!! Tanning yourself? or sending out?

4. cremmick

cremmick New Member

BTW, You said you like predator hunting. Got a double the other day.

Attached Files:

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I remember my early taxidermy days, I thought I would be geeked up for ever, finally found my purpose in life,,,, then one day it turned into work, now it is a drag like any other job, but I still like it, just stopped loving it.

6. paul e

paul e New Member

ya we are a weird bunch
    but its ok to be this way
    don't let anyone tell ya different lol
    The only places i feel really at peace and content are with my hands full of blood and a skin in my hand
    and my alone time i spend with God

those first few jobs you do are precious
    they will tell you a lot about how far you want to take this as a hobby,art,job are all of these together
    and AS T SAID some days it'll be just a job
    those are the days you will have to think back to the one you just did and remember why you wanted to be one of the
    weird guys are gals
    best of luck and get some stop rot lmao

7. Congrats it sure becomes addictive! Definitely be prepared to get some weird looks when you tell people what you do. You will get alot of people curious, alot of people that say "OMG..ewww..how can you do that" And then you will get the most funny response I think. "Oh..you're a taxidermist, so you work with taxes."

8. Good Job! It sounds like you have the patience and self motivation to be successful! Keep it up!

9. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Welcome to the world of taxidermy.

10. Thank you all so much.... Cremmick sweet double;). I put a couple of my pics on the hunting thread. Check out DogSoldierTv.com. Or Rachel Jones Burchett on Facebook.

11. I'll be tanning my own and sending off my customers until I am confident enough to do theirs.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It is to early to be talking customers, you are two years away from that. Lets get some mounts under your belt first. ;)

13. My trainer will over see all my work and does the finish work if I can't. All his students have took work during training. One quit early because he had 65 deer to do. That's why I got to start early.

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    DSchick, I would suggest slowing down a tad. You may have the drive and the talent to be successful at taxidermy. From what I understand, that has yet to be proven. As far as taking work in while being taught, that seems like a bad idea to me. If you actually do this, I hope you inform the customer of the your lack of experience. If not, it will bite you in the rear eventually. I really don't understand the logic behind the teacher's way of thinking. If it was something like a Yoxathon or something I could see a student doing customer work but for a newbe to do customer work with little to no experience in the trade, just seems not right. I am not trying to discourage you just open your eyes some.

15. I understand your concern. The work is not the general public. All very close friends who know I am just starting and want to help. I wouldn't take work from people who don't understand everything about what I am doing and what stage I am at. The instructor takes one apprentice a year and his clients know that an apprentice is assisting in doing the work. Its consider his economic mount. They all are told the stage the apprentice is in and that he is hands on through all of it. His last student quit the apprenticeship 6 months in do to having so much work he couldn't work at his shop and the apprentice shop. That was his decision. I would not do that. I wouldn't take work from the public like he did either. When I said work it is family and close friends who are donating things and paying my cost for doing it. So I have things to learn on. Is this wrong too?

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are going to do what you want anyway, your mind seems made up. Most everyone you are doing this discounted work for will expect it when you are actually trying to make money at it. Good luck with that. Your instructor lets beginners work on his customer's economy mounts? I can't get my head around that one, what is an economy mount? Do you actually pay him and make money for him? If so wow. I wish you well.

17. No the student makes the money on those. I will not charge low prices when I am out of school. As I am not now. But I am not taking general public customers as I said. It is close friends and family only. Everyone starts somehow. Everyone around here that does taxidermy did it this way. The instructor is retiring after me. I'm being open minded. How do most people start? I have to make money or I couldn't pay for the apprenticeship. So I work my job and do tanning and euro mounts right now. But I do have two freezers full of mounts to be done for myself and others. How do you learn without things to learn on?

18. Lol this is funny. I don't remember asking for critiquing yet... I was just happy I had gotten started. Sorry.

19. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I started working on customers mounts. Not MY customers, my instructors customers! And no, they weren't told that I was working on them! It was simple really, at first he would set an eye, I would try to match it. He would bondo an ear, I would match. When I failed in my endeavor (which was often) he would joyfully stick his finger behind the eye, pull it out, and plop it onto the work bench, ready for me to begin again. So it went until I could do more and more on my own.

The real challenge came when I left that shop to go out on my own. It took years to be able to do on my own as well as I was able to do with my instructor did looking over my shoulder. The problem was I didn't realize this at the time. I believed my work was just as good as what I did with instruction. Now when I run across those early mounts somewhere I cringe. That's why these guys are encouraging you to take it slow. It takes time to overcome poor quality work. Word travels from unhappy customers much faster than happy ones!

20. I know I am a successful hairdresser. Its a very critical job. That is pretty much how this goes. He does one thing, then I do it. If its wrong I he fixes it. I understand taking it slow and learning it all. I understand practice makes you better and the more you do the better you can get. I know I will not be good quick that it will take years. Rich women are very picky about how they look. One wrong word can cost you alot. so yes I understand that part.