1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

best fish sealer?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by RBC, Jan 18, 2013.

1. RBC

RBC Member

So what one do you recommend?
    Are they all created equal?
    Thanks for the input!

2. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

What I have done for the last 40 years is seal the fish with the exact gloss that I use for the fini9sh coat. Wheather it's a urathane, a laquer, an enamal, Krylon, rustoleum. It doesn't matter. This whole deal about anti fungal sealer is bullchit, You dont need it.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Agreed. The main reason I still apply a sealer coat to my skin mounts is to help me see where I may have missed some modelling. Usually, I miss something. (Then, of course when the whites go down I usually see another mistake or two!) It also helps bring out what markings are there with the sealer coat. Which, in turn helps me decide how much painting and how much tinting I'm going to do. For the record, I like to use Ace Instant Drying Lacquer. It only takes a thin coat ans it does dry quickly. It's also great for in-between layers if I want to seal things in. It dries so quickly that I don't have to worry much about it eating off any of my underlying waterbased paint. I literally wait only minutes at time to do this and have never had any issues. But, as M.T. mentioned most any clear coat will work...

4. highlander

highlander "There can be only One"

I use modge podge in an aerosol can. works really great for sealing

5. TROPHeTRACKER

TROPHeTRACKER Studio12v - Taxidermy Small Business Software

...and it doesn't affect the scale detail? Sounds interesting, works good on fin repair.

6. highlander

highlander "There can be only One"

No sir, does not affect the scales