1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull of the Week 18/01/13

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Jean-Christophe, Jan 18, 2013.

1. I just finished a big monkfish skull, it's around 30cm large (around 11.8 inches). It's for the shop again. It was very smelly and was starting to rot when I got it, so I didn't even start to deflesh and put it directly in the maceration container.
    I think I did it better than the last monkfish but the branchistegal rays are hard to place symmetrically and they usually curl.

Some of you probably have some new things to show and share :)

Attached Files:

2. Lophius piscatorius

Attached Files:

3. Lophius piscatorius

Attached Files:

4. Lophius piscatorius

Attached Files:

5. Lophius piscatorius

Attached Files:

6. Matt_S

Matt_S New Member

WOW

7. AH7

AH7 New Member

SO COOL. You fish guys are nuts! Looks like a ton of work!

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Big one too. They are soooo tasty on the plate. :)

9. Wow, that thing is impressive! I had no idea how big it was until I saw the pic of you holding it. Living in Florida, I'm surprised I haven't tried my hand at articulating a fish yet. That's awesome though.

10. NorthernSkulls

NorthernSkulls New Member

I dont envy you with the teeth. I thought having 30+ Carnivores in the shop was bad.

11. Yinepu

Yinepu New Member

I was thinking the same thing.. that's a nice sized monkfish

I hope someone got to eat the rest of it

12. Thanks all ! Yes, the guy got it in a fish shop, so the body has been ate for some time probably now ;)
    Teeth were not really a problem since it's big and less teeth fall of when the specimen is bigger with this species (around 30 teeth to glue back in, other teeth were still growing and didn't have "notch" on the jaws). It took a couple of days to put back yes.
    I think this whole fish was around 60cm long (around 20-24 inches).
    The biggest monkfish I've ever seen is in the "Galerie de l'évolution" (a part of the MNHN in Paris). Here is a link to see this one, plus some more specimens from this place. http://www.flickr.com/photos/m4mboo/3494495765/
    It should be between 3 and 4 ft long. Plus a blurry pic I took myself (conger eel on its side :) )

Attached Files:

13. Guus

Guus Member

Really cool skull, JC! I don't think the symmetry of the rays is such a problem, although they are lined up in the body, they are quite flexible anyway. In the clean skull they add a lot to the feeling that it is a really complex skull so I wouldn't leave them out.

Don't want to hijack your thread, but talking about large monkfish I had to share these pics. I cleaned four more this month and the biggest two were really large, never seen any larger than this. The biggest head weighted over 30 kilograms. They are stored in alcohol now while I'm breeding more beetles and looking out for a big box! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Thanks Guus and wow, you won here. Looks about as big as the one in the Museum. Why don't you macerate it ? Your beetles will need some time before they can clean all of it. Will you keep a big one for you as well ? Did you already have a finished monkfish skull to show or not yet ?

15. rednkhuntertd

rednkhuntertd New Member

Wow, what an amazing job! I need to get into fish skeletons for sure. Thank you for sharing :)

16. beautiful monk fish skull. I dont think im brave enough to try fish skulls yet haha

17. Wouter

Wouter Member

JC, hat is a wonderfull monkfish skull, it looks multi layered with the gill apparatus and the shoulder girdle included, a great piece of work.
    Guus, I didn't know monkfish could get this big, it is about the same size as my halibut head. It will look great when finished I expect. Just don't let the cranium fall apart. At the uni we have a wall board with all the skull bones of a monkfish laid out, and the cranium has a lot of pieces that will be a great PITA to put back together.

Wouter

18. Thanks Wouter and others ! Yes I think the shoulder girdle really add to a monkfish skull, make it larger and is like a third layer of bone. It's also the biggest bones that you can found in a monkfish so..
    I cleaned 8 monkfish skulls in all for now and only 3 bones sometimes separate from the front part of the neurocranium with "normal" maceration. Back part mostly stay well in place but it would not be hard to fully disarticulate it. Maybe an enzymatic maceration could make it more likely to fall apart.

19. With the way fish craniums are much more likely to fall into their individual pieces than other animals, I'm kinda surprised I've never seen someone take a crack at doing a beauchene preperation of one. Something like a big monkfish would probably look pretty alien and badass when all done!

20. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Wow, too much patience! Sorry for the bad pic, here are a few wholesale deer going home.
    [​IMG]

And I get to do one of my own, shot this guy last weekend up calling:
    [​IMG]