1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

cartilage in whitetail ears

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mtbehm, Jan 20, 2013.

1. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

So I bought a whitetail cape to try a mount and it came with the cartilage still in. I know I need to take it out but, do I leave the ear canal part of it in or does that need to come off as well? I was thinking that that might stay in for inner detail of the ear but am not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Matt

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

On my commercial deer, I remove the cartledge, then I do the sin of all sins to post here in the deer section, I whack the ear canal off. I only keep the inner ear canal on competition mounts. The deer can't hear anyway, and once it is covered with dust on the wall, it will not mean a hill of beans whether it has ear canals in it or not.

The cartledge will remove easier if the ear is hydrated, I like to put water in the inner ear and place in the fridge over night if the cape has been dried out.
    Keeping the ear canal in, is optional in my opinion, leaving it in will not make the mount more valuable.

3. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

x2

4. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I wack the canal. Eppley liners have the detail in them for the zero number of people that are gonna part the hair and shine a light in there to explore the mysterious innerds of a dead deer's head. If you have a seriously early season deer and pose it in such a way as to expose the ear canal to the viewer, then maybe you might want to fix it up to look accurate. Otherwise I see no purpose.

But I think T said that already.... in less words.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I use bondo ears, but still whack the canal after I have made the ear. I like to be able to stick my finger down in there for re-shaping. I'm on a schedule, a commercial schedule.

6. tem

tem Well-Known Member

x2

7. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

you guys do alot of "whacking off"...

sorry, couldn't resist.

8. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Whacker-offer here. I use Epply ears as well, I try my best to get a smooth transition from the ear skin to the plastic liner deep in the ear. If it will be at all visible a liitle apoxie sculpt feathered over the seam prior to painting does the trick.

9. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I've done it both way's and am now using epply's earliners so I wack them off. No one ever said "wow, that ear canal looks awsome" on the ones I've left in, so why hasstle with them. I like Mike did like the usefullness of having a open canal to adjust from the inside with my finger or add clay if needed, I miss that. But, i jus make sure I have enough clay in there before I sew up and smooth it around from the outside.