1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

javelina calling

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by akmike, Jan 20, 2013.

1. akmike

akmike Member

Im going javelina hunting soon and was wondering if any of you guys ever try calling them . I see lots of videos on it but does it really work?

thanks

2. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

Hell yes... I only use wood calls using rabbit in distress. May be a day with nothing then bammmm a whole herd rush through. good luck

3. Years ago we were skeptical about getting a call, also. A rug client and then a Primos salesman really sold us on trying one.
    We haven’t had the need to use the call on every javelina hunt but when we have, here’s a few things we have found to hold true with the call:
    Don’t use it in an area without actually seeing javelina.
    Doesn’t work well on a lone boar or a group of bachelor boars.
    Works best when there are sows or sows with young in the group.
    After you glass up some javies and see they are bedding down where you cannot get a shot, move in on them, get into position and give the call a blow or two. BE READY, they will blow out into the open quickly.
    If you are walking your hunting area and blow some javies out of their beds or a dense feeding area, give the call a blow or two and it will usually bring them right back to you. Again, be ready, they come back fast.
    If you take a shot, miss and they blow out give the call a blow or two and a good percentage of the time they will return for a kill shot if you are lucky the second time.
    We hunt with traditional archery equipment so I don’t know how hard they will blow out after the noise from a firearm. Also if they blow out hard and fast, don’t bother with that area again for a day or two. Javies have several bedding areas and they will move to another safe area for a while. We have 4-5 honey holes in the area we have been hunting for the past 20+ years. We can always find javies in one or another or a few of these spots. We have never come home empty handed.

Don’t let anyone tell you the meat is not good to eat. They just don’t know how to cook it!
    Well cleaned and cubed meat in the crock pot with BBQ sauce on low overnight will provide you with a delicious meal the next day.
    Most of the time we clean the meat very well of all fat, tendons, etc. and have it made into summer sausage. We have them add an additional ¼ portion of lean pork to the mixture with mild seasoning. You may not want to share this with your friends because they never stop asking for more. ;)

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you and have a good time. They are a lot of fun to hunt!

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I love......

I love the backstraps off javelina!

Tenderized with a meat pallet, marinated overnight, add a dry rub and into the smoker!

:)

Kerby...

5. Amen to that Kerby! But then again, I love the backstraps off of almost any game animal! ;)

6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Jacks!

There are 2 nice sized back straps on jack rabbits! Yummers. I've had people swear they were eating venison! LOL

:)

Kerby...

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

There's a video on you tube of a guy calling in javelina. One of them about jumped right on him .

8. akmike

akmike Member

i saw the video funny as can be . thanks everyone cant wait to try it.