1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coombs Meat Measurement

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by theguyyouknowtaxidermy, Jan 21, 2013.

1. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

I really enjoying using Coombs forms. I did not know that that all of their form measurements where meat measurements until I but my last order in. my normal way of measuring is tight behind the ears with the skin still on, I took off an inch and i think I will be fine.

Well I got a euro in the day and I thought I would just take some simple mental data to see how much of a difference there was. Well on a small year and half six point that was killed 12-1-2012 he measured 15 3/8 tight behind the ears, after skinning him out I took a meat measurement and got 13 1/2, Almost two inches I was kinda shocked.

So can I say that a two inch difference is standard from skin measurement to meat measurement?

2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

some guys on here can do it and make it work. i rather do my measuring when the skin is tanned. then i know what size to order with out wondering if its right or not.

3. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

Same here, tan it, oil it, then measure it. Then before you mount it inflate an inner-tube in it to give yourself some more room!!!!

4. I always measure skin on before skinning and use coombs with no problems in size. But Texas deer have shorter hair. I have also measured after tanned and oiled both work fine just find what works for you.

5. DickGJ

DickGJ Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!

If you buy a caped animal (bobcat) like I did without getting the seller to provide me the measurements...is measuring the circumference of the cape at the belly, measuring from nose to base of tail, and the other two measurements going to give me enough accuracy to buy the correct sized form/manniken?

6. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Your most accurate measurement is going to be on the tanned skin. The only time I measure over the hair, is if I'm considering buynig the cape from a hunter. (that measurement is generally 2" bigger than the actual "meat" measurement,) but I would never order a form using that method.

7. DickGJ

DickGJ Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!

Roger that. THanks Timberland