1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Airbrush recommendations?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by giddyupcal15, Jan 21, 2013.

1. giddyupcal15

giddyupcal15 New Member

Hey everybody,

I am just getting into fish taxidermy and to be quite honest, I don't really know what I am doing. I want to concentrate on fish because of allergies to animal dander. I have been doing some looking online and have realized there are several brands/styles (single or double action, gravity, side fed, etc.) of airbrushes. My goal is to get something that I can learn with, but still be able to do a good job if/when I surpass the beginner level. I would rather not spend a ton of money, but don't want something cheap and not worth buying. So if anybody is willing to help me out and possibly give me a few reasons why I should go a certain route I would really appreciate it! Thanks for the help!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

a good cheap but a good quailty brush is badger or Aztec, always double action IMHO!

3. giddyupcal15

giddyupcal15 New Member

Thanks Frank! Badger, Iwata, and Aztec are the main brands people have been mentioning. I also plan on getting a double action too!

4. giddyupcal15

giddyupcal15 New Member

I am leaning towards the Badger Patriot 105. Any comments?

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I was always a pasha man until Paul b turned me on to the renegade

Really nice and not expensive

Carl

6. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

This will sound crazy, but I'd go with the deluxe model at Harbor Freight. $20 on sale + $10 for two year warranty. It sprays very nice, and if its stops spraying nicely, swap it for a new one. It's double action by the way.

7. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Pirated technology is always cheap. No R & D, just copy someone else's developed product.

8. giddyupcal15

giddyupcal15 New Member

I've heard about the harbor freight airbrushes but never really took it seriously. They are actually pretty decent for that cheap though?

9. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Apparently they are a knock off of someone else's design. They work great.

10. I know it may be a little more money than you may want to spend but the Badger Velocity gravity feed is awesome! I started with an off brand cheapo, then got a Paasche. I was less then pleased with the result and started doubting my own ability. I got the Badger new at Amazon.com for $90.00 and was amazed! the detail ability and the fact that it has been so enjoyable because it doesn't stop up near as much is well worth the money to me. The finished product is much better. I figure if it is good enough for Rick Krane its good enough for me!

11. den007

den007 Active Member

In the same Renegade line is the Spirit.....my favorite simply because the cup does not intrude on your line of sight.

12. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Hey Dennis is that for the two hundred yard shot

Just kidding
    renegade / spirit is a great gun
    I have one each
    ,,,,, thanks Paul

Carl

13. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

When it comes to an airbrush, a 400 dollar air brush in my hands is not the same as a twenty dollar air brush in Tom Sexton hands or Rick Kranes hands. Just food for thought; sometimes it's better to buy and start cheap then to buy expensive and never to learn to use it correctly.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, the velocity and spirit with ultra fine needle/tip are not intended to spray large pigment sizes, like many metallics and pearls. There is a conversion to a fine needle/tip however. The newer badger krome comes with both tip sets I think. I use a velocity for detail and a patriot for colors with large pigment sizes. I had an Aztec when I was in grade school and just threw it away. It was a pain to maintain, though it worked if kept up, and had a spatter nozzle which was unique at the time (the velocity has a psr conversion for this). It is true that some brushes perform better in particular areas than others, but the magic still comes from the artist. That said, if I was limited to one airbrush I'd choose the velocity with fine needle/tip for a combination of economics, performance, and serviceability.
    Best, Scott

15. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Which airbrush? The REAL answer.... Much like picking a puppy, close your eyes and grab one - lol! Seriously, there's no miracle air brush out there. Sure, some can get finer detail than others and some easier to clean and some are more durable. Bottom line is by these responses you can see that different people get good results with different air brushes. The REAL secret is practice, practice and more practice. It'll take you lots of time to figure out how much retarder to use, how much to thin, how much air pressure and how much paint flow if you go with a double. All the while gaining familiarity with your particular air brush. Choose your budget and order a name brand brush. Then practice like hell (and don't give up!)...

16. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Every time I close my eyes and grab one, it's a badger renegade. Must be the fact that all the others I own (several) are up on a shelf out of reach.

17. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

watch a rick krane video....most of his work is done using some sort of brush(artist,rubber clay shaper,makeup pads) and uses an air brush for mostly base coats....something to think about

18. 1fish2fish

I've watched a few of his videos; and he used the renegade velocity initially and now the renegade Krome for all his airbrushing, if that's pertinent. There is a lot more going on than just airbrush work, sure, and he teaches a lot of alternative techniques using mixed mediums to detail as well, but he certainly uses the airbrush for detail work too. You can continue down the road of what you can do without an airbrush and end up not needing one at all but, with regard to the question of an airbrush recommendation, Rick Krane talks about the Renegades on each of his videos if you are looking for an endorsement.

I prefer the Velocity because it is simpler, which means easier to clean and assemble in my opinion, and has the same needle/tip arrangement (aka, the same detail capability) but the Krome is suppose to have a smoother trigger and by its color you can see how clean your paint cup is much easier. The needle limiter is also graduated on the Krome, if you need or like that. Maybe that data helps.

Best, Scott

19. Rogerst

Rogerst Member

i have a velocity, i must be doing something wrong because when that tempermental beast starts up again i go back to the artist brush and the "H"

20. 1fish2fish

Well, you gotta use what works best for you and you've probably become very accustomed to your single action H through the years. With Needle/tip assembly's of .45/.64/1.06 you can practically spray pebbles through it, so mettallics and pearls are no problem, though you won't get the detailing control of the finer tip double action brushes by design. There are some very very good artists that use the H.

Still, meaning no disrespect, I'd agree that you are doing something wrong if your velocity is so temperamental. I let a novice taxidermist who had no airbrush experience borrow mine and he was spraying pencil thin lines and even base coats without trouble the first time he used it. He has since acquired one and hasn't had any issues with it being temperamental. I will agree that it is a brush you need to clean well, watch your tip dry, and back flush every now and then during longer sessions. It's super easy to disassemble for cleaning (and no wrench required) so that helps. As I stated earlier, I have a patriot and that beast will spray about anything, and will spray even when it's gummed up from lack of cleaning, and it will detail a bit too; so its a workhorse, but when properly maintained and used, I find the velocity gives more consistent performance and it provides the precession of an ultra fine tip.
    Best, Scott