1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Form size problems

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mloringc, Jan 21, 2013.

1. mloringc

mloringc Member

I have a buck that measures 8 in eye to nose, however he has a small neck with his c and b only 18x20 with the fur on and significanly smaller when I measured the muscle. I can not find any form that will fit this deer. The only forms that have the same neck size are 7in forms. I am new at this and the only idea that I can come up with is taking a smaller form and cutting below the eyes and adding an inch with bondo. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks, Matt

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Use a change out head, cut the small head off of the proper size form, and swap it out for a bigger head.

3. mloringc

mloringc Member

Sounds like a better idea than i had. Thanks for the advice!

4. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Thats one way, you may run into a situation where the shoulders on that 7" mannikin are too small for the frame of your deer. Personally I would buy one with the N/E for your deer and take the neck down.

5. TROPHY SHACK

TROPHY SHACK Phillip cole

X2 change out head

6. Morel Man

Morel Man New Member

I did my first mount last year and had the same problem. While maybe unorthodox, I had a mount with correct neck sizes and then cut the snout in half about 4 inches up. I then cut a piece of would the proper length needed to extend the nose to the proper measurements. I then took cardboard and wrapped it around the nose to the proper shape. You can buy mannikin filler foam to fill in the space. Or in my case, I used spray foam insulation to fill in the space. After it fully dried, I took a rasp and filed off any places where it caused seems. When all finished, you can't notice that I made any changes to the form.