1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

PH strips

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by babowhunter, Jan 21, 2013.

1. babowhunter

babowhunter Man,I love this stuff!!

Ran out of pH strips and cant wait to have some shipped.Did a search but could not find much.Are there stores that carry pH strips for say 0-6.0 or so.

2. Pool or Spa stores carry strips and test kits, maybe check them out

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

i found some at a school teacher supply store, in the science area. most pool places wont sell strips that go to 0 ph. good luck!

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

For Tanning and testing your solutions, I'd rely on pH strips in the 0.5 increments, not 1.0, they are more accurate - but it's doubtful, like RYANOLSEN said, that Pool places will carry such strips 0-6. I'm afraid you have to settle for ordering some, maybe 0-3, and the other ranges that a Supplier on here may carrry. Call TASCO and ask - I know they carry a range of pH papers, like above, and more ranges to include in your ranging efforts up to a 6.0. Their Toll Free Telephone number is (866) 296-2782

5. babowhunter

Hey thanks for all the quick replies.I will call tasco in the morning.

6. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

i just tried some new strips that are really nice... i think they are called hydration ph papers. mckenzie sells them, along with many other places. strips come in a dispenser, on a roll and you tear as you need. also very accurate with good color distinction so you know right were you are. they show.5 incriments. check em out!

7. babowhunter

Thanks for the info Ryan! I will give them a shot!Thanks again!

8. If you have a scientific or medical supply in your area they should have them. They are a little more expensive but they are accurate and go from .05 to 9 in .05 increments.

9. VavDykes has some.....

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/PHP350-P11257.aspx

10. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

Those are the ones I use. :D I like em too

11. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

If you are really in a bind, just pull the hides (drain them) and place them in the freezer until you get PH strips.

12. hooded12

hooded12 New Member

granger sells them

13. babowhunter

Hey Ryan, tried these new strips and really like them.Show color really nice!Thanks for the help!

14. hooded12

hooded12 New Member

i bought a electronic tester from granger and it works really well and very easy to read 105 dollars will never run out again lol

15. babowhunter

Was wondering how many home tanners use these.Is there a down side to them?How accurate are they?Any comments!

16. hooded12

hooded12 New Member

0-14 range tempurature compinsated and accurate within .01

17. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

As long as you calibrate it correctly and keep calibration solutions on hand.