1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help for a true Beginner in MI, this is a contest/mentor program

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by R. Follis, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Morel Man

Morel Man New Member

Thanks for the opportunity. And congrats, Jeff!

2. its my birthday today ;D i never thought i would win
    congrats to all who participated I'm stoked thanks Jeff

3. wudyaget

wudyaget New Member

Well Happy Birthday, my man! Congrats and have a good time. Keep us posted with pics of your progress.

4. mikehurt88

mikehurt88 Member

I can't believe all of you guys had a 1 in 5 chance of winning...pretty good odds there and a great prize...Now to get someone to do this that is close to where I live .

5. WayneP

WayneP New Member

It's not that some of us don't appreciate your efforts. This is what any newby looks forward to. On my account it is the sake of distance. Negative comments seem to post easily on issues. Just want you to know your doing a great thing and appreciated by more than the few that jumped in there!

6. so sorry I missed this I would have loved to be in thanks for helping the lucky winner and hope it's a sucess and will offer this again sometime. I'm in Port Huron so not to far of a drive

7. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

Little bit of a update, natures way jeff has been driving 2 hours one way to my shop for the last 3 weeks. First week removing the cape from skull and turning eyes, lips, nose and ears. then into the tan. 2nd week ( sore back time ) for Jeff when he got on the dakota flesher and skiving knife, HAHA. 3rd week two day process, Saturday Jeff did his mannequin prep work and eye set. Sunday Jeff put his cape on the form. I sent the mount home with him for his second day work over and so on. He was a bit nervous having to take care of it himself but he will be fine. I made sure Jeff did alot of the hands on stuff himslef to help learn ( head spinning ) I will let him elaborate more on this in his words. Very good student and I will have him post pic's of the final mount when complete.

8. natures way

natures way New Member

not head spinning my bald head could not fit any more info every time i leave there ha!ha!ha! went home with a head ache I was thinking by the end of all this my melon would explode (or i will be on nerve pills) .All kidding aside Mr,Follis is a great teacher and mentor i look at taxidermy in a defrent light ( its not like putting a snap tight model together hahaha) its allot of work but its ALOT ! more fun then i thought . three things that i was nerves on was sewing(never sewed before) making a billion holes in the cape when fleshing it out (not bad only two holes) and being sent home with the mount. sewing is done and that was cool and not bad, NOW home with the mount (you all need to prey for me ) that i don't JACK IT UP!!!!!!! it looks good so far. P.S hope to meet some of you wonderful people at the show on Saturday that's only day i can make it there .

9. sorry i posted all of that under old account that i didn't know i had

10. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

Jeff came over today and did the finish work on his deer. He didn't want me to post pic's because he now knows how important the 2nd, 3rd, and so on days work over is. ( minor issues ) But all and all it turned out good for a first and he should be happy with it. Good job Jeff, it was a pleasure working with you.

Attached Files:

11. Thank you Mr follis for your help and knowledge you taught me you my friend are a awesome teacher & mentore . thank you Jeff