1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why all the negative stuff on here?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by boarzhead, Jan 22, 2013.

1. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

I only post when I have something good to say. Why is there so much bad stuff said on here that doesn't need to be. I read a post of a beginner and all that was replied was that he was a moron and need to do search before posting. We should be a better breed of people on here. It reminds me of when Massachusetts lost it's trapping rights. All it took was one bad person to suggest it then ... gone. Next we saw was coyotes mauling kids at bus stops, beavers flooding streets and then people saying what happened?. Don't let this happen here. At these times when our gun rights are trying to be taken we need to stick together cause without guns.... Our jobs are gone.

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Good luck trying to fix mankind. Go to wwwgun, wwwhunting, wwwcooking, wwwletmeetpeople, any www is my point, its people, not taxidermists, that dont act nice or play nice. Watch em fight on the christian sites, the kind old lady sites, anything. People these days are under pressure. Our direction right now is constantly being questioned, and our futures comprimised by others. People need to vent, or they will pop. You yourself just vented by posting this. In a perfect world this site's sole purpose could be to promote taxidermy in a positive light, and to help fight anti everything. But, its simply another cross sectioning of who we are, not just as taxidermists, but as people.

It would be nice if people would play a bit nicer in here, yes, but this many hungry egoes are always going to play this way. Trust me. Its the veil of anonimity.

3. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

For one thing lot of people thinks this site owes them something,Insted of looking something up and do a little work they ask a question and suspect it to be answered right now. The thing is allot of thees guys have payed allot of money in training and going to shows and so on, and then they share that information with the world of taxi net for free. I get PMs all the time with question, when i give them the answer, I never get a thank you are kiss my or nothing out of allot thees of guys. but I still try to help them out, because I know what it was like when I started out there was hardly any info out there. I would have give any thing to have what info you guys get today 30 years a go.

4. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Bill pretty much summed it up, it's really the nature of the ananimity on the web. It's been that way since I started participating here and it's never going to change. The fact is there are a lot of angry, unhappy people in the world who will jump at the chance to critisize or birate someone else for whatever reason and the internet is an easy format for them to do it , without having to look someone in the eye as they say it. I mean, how many times have you read "Oh, he's a really great guy in person".

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

But I am :)

6. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

I would just like to note that as a beginner myself this past year I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars attending Troy Rose's school in Idaho all the way on the opposite side of the country from me as well as traveling down south to train with another taxidermist friend of mine and still I think about it and without this site and the numerous people who have taken the time to help me and answer all of my stupid questions where would I be? I am so thankful for this site and its wealth of knowledge. I have met several great new people that I ow consider friends...sure I've been told I am dumb for thinking anyone on here is a real friend by a few notorious key nay Sayers but that's all they are, negative nannies and unhappy inside so it makes them feel better to put others down. Sure we all have our pet peeves but to allow them to control who we are is pointless. I don't care what anyone says I have gained new insight into a profession I love and no amount of negativity will deter me from this site, I just try to steer clear of it but sometimes I have just had enough of it and HAVE to say something so that I myself can also vent...to which is always answered "who asked you, blah, blah, blah." To which I counter "if you don't want a response other than yours then you probably shouldn't make a PUBLIC post." B some people refuse to hear reason and just want to remain idiots. I say let them. Who cares and I just read something else instead. I wish it where different too.

7. I've been reading this site off and on since the early 90's being a basement/Hobie taxidermists since '83 and I too shake my head at some of the negative replies.

my take on this is the majority of the new comers find this site, read some, see that this site has its regular responders and these responders seem to all be in their own group or family, so as a way to break the ice and participate amongst the group and maybe become part of this family and as good of a taxidermist as the people giving advice. they also may not have known about the search function.

The long timers have been asked, what to them seems to be simplest of questions, over and over and over and over..............until they just reply negatively from answering the same questions over and over and over again. But they still do reply and help share their experience which we all are grateful or we wouldn't be here in the first place.

The negative comments that have nothing to do with the question but attack, belittle another person, that are just meant to be mean or the ones that bother me.

8. I think the reply by Shasta Donegan captures most of our thoughts about this unique and important site.
    You will always have an element in any community or like- minded gathering of people who use the available freedoms open to us all to promote thier thoughts and often thier frustrations at life as they percieve it.

Negative? perhaps from another aspect or again someone elses perception. But the benefits of this incredible site outweigh these fragments of negativity.
    We have politics, religion, and a wonderful array of quite caustic and often hilarious lampoonimg of all of our different cultures and society. Some of it burning itself out after each tirade of criticism and ridicule and the site 'settles down' again and a degree of toleration and sanity returns. What a small and I believem insignificant price to pay. And it is easily ignored isn't it.

It's life, albeit played out in cyber space, the liked and the disliked, each role reversing in individual perception.
    To change it would, in my opinion, destroy it's integrity and its great undercurrent of knowledge and awesome talent.
    If you don't like what someone says... ignore it.
    It's that persons venting of anger or frustration... or simply the truth.
    So what? sticks and stones my friends... just my thoughts.

9. Don Jahner

Don Jahner Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that most just don't ever have a positive outlook no matter how good the news, almost responded to a post here last night, started good, 10 negative replies to the few positive, then I thought about a post I put on a Ford web site, reporting record profit sharing checks coming in March, close to the best they ever received, sure as shit, every single response was negative. I don't understand it but from the looks, most would only see the bad in hitting the dang lotto, Don't worry thought, it's not just taxidermist, it's everywhere.

10. ShastaDonegan

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack" -George Patton

And the "hiding behind the key board" is very true...I refer to them as "keyboard cowboys"

...just remember most of the people that respond in that nasty manner have very pathetic and sad lives. I say let them have what little comfort they get from putting others down because my life is great and I am thankful for that, not that it makes it right but people deserve what comfort they can get, just sad they would choose such negative means.

Walk a mile in someone's shoes before you judge...

11. That is precisely what makes us what we are DJ..
    To some the glass is half empty, to others, it is half full.
    To judge a situation through someone else's eyes and with thier personal experience would indeed be a great gift if it was used properly.
    But negativity and realism are nothing more than each persons view, two different sides of the same coin.
    Just my thoughts.

12. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I am very nice to everyone and everyone is very nice to me. Those that aren't [expletive deleted]'em and the horse they rode in on. ;)

13. :eek: Those pearls of wisdom will be forever burned into my heart antlerman!!! :) :) :)

14. I sure wish this forum was around 30 years ago when I was just starting out but better late than never.I have learned a lot here and met some great people.I now have mentors and I stay away from the negative people. Though I do understand the frustration of some when a newbie asks questions like"how do you mount a pheasant"? I do think if they are serious enough about becoming a taxidermist they should at least take the time to find out first by reading up on the subject.That takes a lot of typing to answer that. Thanks to everyone that helps me out...you know who you are! ;D

15. MIKEO-PA

MIKEO-PA Mike and Jen Olszanowski, pa

For starters, using good key words in the topic/subject line would make it a lot easier to find what you want during a search. You almost always have to open the threads on here to even have a clue what the person wants to talk about. It is hard to find exactly what you want by doing a search without scrolling through hundreds of posts that do not contain the info you need. I think it should be mandatory to have at least 2 keyword about what the body of your post is about. If the members are going to jump all over everyone for not searching, than make it easier to find the posts! We have tried many times to find info and can't so we end up just starting a new topic.

Example: Whitetail mouth casting methods. or My whitetail mouth casting method... When you read those topic lines you will know if you have info to offer or something you want to learn about and if you should bother opening the thread or not. And it would show up in a search to newbies who want to know how. If you just put "Guess what I tried this week" as your topic line, it will likely not show up as easily in a searches

Just my 2 cents,
    Jen

16. ShastaDonegan

Jen has a very good point...I've often PMed George (the walking encyclopedia) and asked him to send me the link to posts I KNOW are there because I have read them before but I can never find anything when I do a search for some reason?

17. DickGJ

DickGJ Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!

X2 As a beginner, I've gone nuts at times trying to run searches here. So not to get ganged up on by frustrated experts reading a rookie question...I'll PM someone I've recognized as a true contributor and mentor on this site. I've only been on the site about a month now and I've already made a mental list of fairly consistent "grumps" and the "patient helpers". I mean if you don't like a rookie post...move on to the next post without feeling so compelled to "punch the rookie" in the nose with your keyboard. But then again, for the grumpy members...that probably makes their day! :mad:

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

boarzhead, you may be virgin meat but the theme of your post certainly isn't. So let me make a few unsolicited observations:

#1. YOUR NAME. When Ken created the forums, most of us decided to use real names. Look at them. Ken, Rick Carter, Bill Yox, John C., John Bellucci, etc. The concensus was that if you used a REAL name, you'd tend to be treated and respected as a REAL PERSON. It would also lend credibility and accountability to what you said. Now I've done my share of call Bill a prick and John Bellucci an ashhole, but since it was a personal interchange
    between TWO REAL PEOPLE, it was take as that and forgotten. When the guys started showing up with the cutesy "screen names" with no email address or personal information in their personal files, you sort of lose your sense that you're dealing with a responsible person.

#2 What Doug Montgomery said. Many come on here, don't read anything or don't look for anything and simply DEMAND an answer. When they don't get it, we hear "If you don't want to answer, why comment," or "I thought this was a site to educate people," or "Instead of griping, why don't you just answer my question instead of me looking it up?" Guess how many times I've read "What type of salt should I use?" Never mind that I've written it out just 2 days before. And when I say that it's a dumb question, I get to hear, "There's no such thing as a dumb question." RIGHT

#3 Are you on FACEBOOK? I'm not. I have no desire to be on FACEBOOK and I don't envision myself getting that weak. I just can't imagine how my having a bowel movement would be interesting to anyone else. HOWEVER, I know you can "befriend" and "unfriend" someone or you can "Like" or "dislike" certain functions. Ken used to have an icon call "karma" here that served a similar function but like the Flowers of Algernon, that got old pretty quick. So you get all the bells and whistles along with the thorns and the rocks. You can only be YOU and you can't make someone else be like YOU just by wishing it. If a person can't separate the wheat from the chaff, then this likely isn't a site that interests them.

Gerry, your point is valid. On the OLD Forums, Ken had an "orange button" that he blamed on me. It was an isolated search function for that site only. You could find a past topic in seconds. HOWEVER, the site had changed servers several times over the last decade and now the search is Google. Most people understand that and if you preface your post that yo've tried but can't find it, someone will help you. Shasta also uses another invaluable technique of PMing someone. You might be surprised at the help that the "grumpy" members might provide you.

19. DickGJ

DickGJ Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!

Thanks George...and note that I said I'll opt to PM folks I've already recognized as contributors/mentors...so do you recall getting PM'd from me? Hmmm.

20. redog76

redog76 New Member

Its funny, I go on the diesel truck forums, and all the people seem so open to answering questions and such. It is much more positive.

Just be ready for the sharks if your gonna jump in the tank!