1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wing pockets

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by taxidermyfun, Jan 23, 2013.

1. taxidermyfun

taxidermyfun New Member

I have done 2 Barrows goldeneyes in the past and i have two to do now. I had problems getting the wing to set good in the pockets on my first two and on these i am having the same issue. I can't figure out what i am doing wrong. Any advice would be appreciated

2. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Check your reference pics. Make sure your bones are aligned correctly with the back. If you removed the humurs bone this will sometimes throw the wing off for its setting position ... Not a good idea unless your good at the wings. Make sure you lift it up on the back and then slide it down into the pocket. With out seeing a pic I can't tell much. Again Reference Pics.

3. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

Take some measurements off the carcass, apply them to your form. Some experts advise against it, but it certainly did help me when I started doing it on all of my birds. I took some pics and posted 'em up a while ago, some people called it a "side pocket tutorial": http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,300386.msg2065093.html#msg2065093
    If you already have them mounted I have no real advice...

4. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

It helps me to pin the front flight webbing to the shoulder area first. make sure you pull the wing straight up then pin. there should be some slack after you bring every ting back where it should be. This would take me a second to show you but man is it tuff to write it out. Also you need to fill out the side pocket with some fiberfill so the sidepocket isn't flat. Hope this helps

5. taxidermyfun

taxidermyfun New Member

thanks. I take measurements of the carcass on my birds, i haven't had issues with my other ducks mainly the goldeneye. I would post pics but i have things where I like it and taped it up. I think it has something to do with the form i get not sure , thanks to all

6. This is a common problem for oversized forms or where the skin hasn't been taxied forward far enough to give the feathers the room they need to lay right.

7. taxidermyfun

taxidermyfun New Member

This makes sense to me not having the skin forward as far as I could. The ducks are sitting and the wires going through i didn't leave enough room . I think the stitches kept me from pulling it forward far enough perhaps.