1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pointers on sitting bobcat?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by mtbehm, Jan 23, 2013.

1. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

I am going to be doing a lifesize sitting bobcat, tanning the hide right now and am looking to get some pointers before I start putting it on the form as to any tricks for the form(prepping it). Anything to make the mount go easier? What has to be done for the back legs, slots cut out for where the thigh meets the calf and where the leg is touching the body? Thanks, Matt

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Much depends on how you cut the hide, dorsal cut, ventral cut or tubed. A Dorsal cut may make it easier to mount but requires a lot of sewing up the back and the seam, unless you're really proficient, will most likely be very visible. For a tubed skin you'll need to saw off the limbs (and maybe the head) insert them in the hide and then reattach them. (see George's tutorial on small mammals for this - he demonstrates this method with a squirrel, but its the same principal). Ventral cut is what I would recommend, but you will have to split the legs on the hide and sew them up or cut off and reattach as with the tube skin. Its hard to get to the areas to sew, but the end result is better for me (emphasis on FOR ME - I'm sure others have different preferences) Either way you will probably need to cut a deep groove at the thigh - belly joint on each leg, from crotch to the top of the thigh, to tuck extra skin. Clearly, if you are tanning the skin now you have already made your choice as to the type of incision, so you will be bound to a certain point by how you cut it. I listed the options and the elements involved more for future reference. The pose I want (or the client) will often dictate the way I skin it out. Good luck!

3. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

I went with the ventral cut figured that would be easiest to hide. Glad that you too think that is the best way to go about it. I have read that sitting is harder/takes more time than a standing. Is that because of the extra cuts/skin tucking that has to be done? Just waiting on my form to get here so I can start playing around with it. Thanks for the help, Matt

4. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

got the form yesterday and after finishing my first deer started playing around with it. I am having trouble with the back legs and getting the cut from the feet from the knee. I got the knee to hip on both back legs and the front legs cut out pretty good but I feel like with the last cut on the back legs will make them fall off or be very weak. The rod through the legs also goes right through it and Im not sure what to do about that, cut it? Any help on how to fix these problems is greatly appreciated. Matt

5. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

Heres a pic of the form. The gray lines are the spots I was able to cut out. The black is where the wore seems to go, or at least where I can see it cross the leg where i need to cut it. Is the white line the right place to cut the relief cut for the skin? thanks again

Attached Files: