1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hair slipping on grey fox

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Stickman12, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Stickman12

Stickman12 New Member

I have a grey fox that I am mounting and when started to put the earliners in, the hair slipped off the top have of its ear. What caused this, and is it fixable?

2. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Man fox and bobcat are bad bout that . Next time get some stop rot and use it and be realy easy with them . there not as tuff as deer ears. search it there is a good post on fixing a fox ear by replacing it with another one. good luck !!

3. DickGJ

DickGJ Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!

I had a Red Fox in beautiful thick prime fur. My first go at mounting a red fox. I turned the ears, split the lips, removed the bone from the tail but failed to split the tail. When I went to remove my beautiful fox from the pickling solution with perfect PH and salt...the hair slipped off it like grease! All I had left was a rat tail! The fur stayed well every where else...but I learned to split the tail of my next fox. Since then I've learned that Stop Rot is a valuable tool to a taxidermist...I've got my order in for some now. The other point I think I should make is that the longer the animal has been dead (and not frozen) the more likely the chance for bacteria setting in and increasing your chances of slippage. So far I've skinned/tanned 16 critters this winter...3 resulted in hair slippage. One cause I didn't split the tail on the fox, and the other two from purchases that I made on-line and delivery taking longer than expected to the point that the animals were delivered thawed out an stanky. If they stink like rot...that's bacteria likely already working on breaking down tissue.

4. Stickman12

Stickman12 New Member

Do you split the tailsnon all animals? I'm planning on doing a mink. Wouldni need to split it's tail?

5. RageofAnath

RageofAnath Will make art for money or dead things.

I split for mink, not everyone does though. Smaller than that I usually don't.

6. Stickman12

Stickman12 New Member

Split all the way down or just part of the way?

7. DickGJ

DickGJ Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!

I'm a rookie at this but I have my best luck with splitting the tail all the way from the base to the tip. Another pointer I've picked up from this site is that if you don't split the tail...to run a stiff wire through the tail and pop the tip of the wire through the tail near the tip so your pickle solution and tanning solutions can run through and entirely coat the inside of the tail skin. I haven't experimented much with this yet, but plan to. All it does it save you some additional sewing when ready to mount. However, on smaller critters like squirrels and weasels I just remove the bone and just make sure that I run the solutions into the tail with a stiff pipe cleaner or something of that nature. Just my 2-cents, cause that's all it may be worth at the level I'm at! LOL

8. Greys usually aren't too picky but there are so many variables that could of created the situation. Stop Rot is good to have, but when I initially turn fox ears I use specific tools as I am opening them up (needle nose or other hand tools to stand the ear up on the table). As i turn the ear I hold the ear with an old washcloth to completely eliminate any heat transfer. Heat transfer in my experience is usually the culprit so I avoid it at all costs.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Fox and coyote tips of the ears slip very easy for one reason, you man handled the skin off when trying to turn them or put liners in, or pinching them when shaping with bondo. The skin is so thin, and fur so delicate, that you can shove the fur off just by pinching it hard between your fingers. I don't buy the heat from you hands thing, being gentle is the key.

10. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Tails split them all . . all the way to the tip then salt completely. Size doesn't matter. Then you can sew or glue back together. Me i sew everything. JMO

11. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Of everything I work with, Grey Fox have go to be the worst. I sent 6 that I had trapped, dispatched, skinned and frozen within 2 hours last winter. All 6 had slippage issues somewhere when I got them back....nothing on the ears, mine all had problems around the back of the neck and belly. My tannery refunded my money and I have never had a problem with any other animal with the tanner I use. As T said, they are very fragile and thin skinned so handle with care.

12. Stickman12

Stickman12 New Member

thanks for all the advice.