1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Carcass casting

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by hidvalltax, May 15, 2007.

1. hidvalltax

hidvalltax Dont travel faster than your guardian angel can go

Due to the amount of requests I am getting I am going to put this here then everyone has it. Be sure to have plenty of time and patience!!!!!!!!
    When casting a carcass (the class I learned from) put the animal in the position that you desire I used drywall screws and screwed down to a piece of plywood that fit in my freezer.My animal was a 4 month old black bear cub, after it was frozen I used potters slip and coated the body and filled nasal openings and ryes and toes, this acts as your release.and refreeze. I got a container large enough to fir the carcass and got the cub out of the freezer and took off board ( working fast here) I marked off the form lines with a grease pencil placed the carcassin the tub and filled with sand up to the line (sand makes the seperation between the molds) I mixed the POP(plaster of paris)poured and let set up, removed and refroze the cub, I repeated this until I had all the pieces 6 to be exact, I did no think to take pics of the prcedure sorry.... after all the pieces were dry I sprayed the mold with mold release from smooth on and put together with big runbber bands (I should have bolted it) I used 2 part urethane foam and did it expand but it turned out well just 2x the size i needed so we filed, dremmeled until the hide fit perfectly and this is the finished product, they wanted this walking the beam in their house so we had a big progect for such a small bear, questions just ask and good luck!

2. mantis

mantis New Member

does the sand affect the two halves of the mold from making a good seal or does it not embed into the paster?

3. hidvalltax

not at all, just like putting a barrier there so they don stick together.

4. mantis

mantis New Member

very cool that will be way faster than using clay as the base. Have you ever cast waterfowl heads? If so what do you use for the cast? Will fiberglass resin work as you can sand it and paint it or will that be too heavy?

5. hidvalltax

I have not done any for myself yet but I would think fiberglass would work, I made a skull cap for a corsican I had a skull I borrowed used latex and built the mold out of plasti paste it worked great and poured the cast out of their plastic 300 ithink it was

6. mantis

mantis New Member

ok thank you

7. hidvalltax

you are very welcome

8. Bagger99

Bagger99 New Member

Just read your post on the procedure and I like that, I wrote it down and will try it. Thanks alot!

9. hidvalltax

your are very welcome

10. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

here's another way
    http://tdavistaxidermy.com/cc1.html