1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

sewing around antler burrs

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by vana413, Jan 24, 2013.

1. vana413

vana413 just a cold beer drinker

I've been having some trouble with sewing around antlers butes.. when the deer dries you see clay between the hair and the antlers butt.. if you pros have any tricks or tips to help this to stop that would be great!
    Thanks, vana

2. TROPHY SHACK

TROPHY SHACK Phillip cole

Before I pull hide up to antler burrs I roll up some apoxie sculpt and snake it around under burrs making a gap like a slot then do my sewing pull tight then push to flatten out under skin but always make shur you are thinning this area very good during hide prep paper thin

3. Tony Corleone

Tony Corleone New Member

ZAp A Gap

4. I use small roll of apoxie sculpt as well. In addition, I have put a small amount of apoxie paste around this area as well. Thinning hide real well also makes big difference - I carefully run this area of hide across my Dakota blade.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. Apoxie sculpt!!!! you can use a pencil sized roll and work it down around the burr and pedicul . be sure you have hide paste on the forehead to work up the skull area too.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Slow set epoxy will work, hide paste will work, looping the burr skin with heavy string, like your belt in your pants, drawing it tight to the burr, works best.

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Double check antler set, may be too high. A well thinned and properly tanned cape and a good hide paste. I also use epoxy glue around burs for a little insurance.

8. I have tried just about everything. What works the best for me is to thin the hide in this area very well and then I just use hide glue (romans 555). Make sure the hide is tucked up under the burr very well and push it back in again for the next couple of days as the glue dries. When you mache the skull cape in make sure you build it up almost to the burr especially in the back of the burr to replace all that meat that is now missing.

9. Turkey Neck Taxidermy

Turkey Neck Taxidermy No Deer Is To Small To Mount!!!

when sewing up if you go back from your cut a 1/4 inch around on both sides when you sew it up it will pull tighter and hold better. I hope you under stand this!!! But it helped me and I dont have to use any glue

10. Jen Myers

Jen Myers New Member

Just wondered if you mean the hide prep before or after the tanning.... I was wondering if maybe a skiving knife would work well after the tanning? (Asking because I also have this problem on my mounts with the antler burrs)

11. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

Jen this can be done before or after tanning, I ussually do it after tanning.

12. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

make sure your measurement is right from the eye to the burr use nails if you half to to hold till it drys but if it is not thin around there its gonna shrink and check your measurements again something has to be wrong i bet it is your measurement

13. I agree with Turkey Neck. I start my stitches about a 1/2" further around the burr this way I can pull them tight and they don't slide down as easy when their drying. I'll do the same on elk but I will also use some small nails and tack the skin to the bone while drying.