1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

lutan fn tannink kit/making my own?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by mtbehm, Jan 25, 2013.

1. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

I have been tanning with the lutan fn kits from van dykes and always seem to have extra lutan f tanning solution left. my question is can I use a common acid(such as muratic acid from a hardware store) as long as I get the Ph right in place of the acid they supply and then use sodium bicarbonate(baking soda) for the neutralizing and just use my left over tanning solution or is there something special about the acid that they supply? Im tired of having lutan f solution left just sitting around and not putting it to use so trying to figure something out. Hopefully someone can help. Matt

2. You can't re use the tanning solution.

3. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

Its the powder not the actual solution. they always give too much of that and I have lefftover that never gets used in the batch.

4. Buy safety acid or citric or one that the suppliers have.

5. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

I don't tan a whole lot of hides Im just starting out doing a couple deer and a couple bobcats here and there and whatever comes along that I can afford. The first time I bought the kit for one cape and then started buying the one for 5-7 that is only double the price but I don't like to see the chemicals that I do have left go to waste. Im just a hobbyist not a full time taxidermist trying to save as much as I can.

6. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

If it's a local Acid you need to make a Pickle, simply buy some White Vinegar at your local Grocery and use a Vinegar Pickle.

1 Gallon Formula: 2 Qts. of White Vinegar
    2 Qts. of Water
    1 Lb. of Salt

pH = 2.5 pH.

It's much better than using Muriatic Acid - and safer! Muriatic is not a good choice. I wouldnt keep it long term - but you can easily mix it buying the local ingredients. I've used it successfully!

7. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

Will this work for any type of tanning compound past the pickling stage? Wasn't sure if muratic would be the right choice but just trying to see if there was something I could use instead. Thanks alot, Matt