1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Giraffe deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Toeknee22, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Toeknee22

Toeknee22 New Member

I send my capes out to be tanned and lately it seems like they all have been coming back as giraffe deer extremely long necks I try and strech them back but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, One of the deer I personally shot and I caped it right away it did't hang by its neck for a week.

2. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

Just mounted one like that, just pulled it back out to the right shape and mount it didn't take much muscle either.

3. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

I cant think of a single cape I ever had tanned that didn't come back that way. They are stretched like that because of the fleshing, tanning, and shaving process. Especially if they are short incision. Really probably doesnt have anything to do with hanging them by the head, although that can make getting a green cape measurement tricky. Thats why there are so many tricks and tools out there to return the cape to the original dimensions. Cape snakes, inner tubes, mechanical stretchers, muscle and elbow grease. Stretching capes is as much a part of taxidermy as sewing. Might as well get used to it.

4. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

some tanneries tumble capes to the desired dampness for wet tans, some tanneries (YOST for instance) hang the capes by the nose to dry (dry tan) making them well-hung & stretched in the wrong direction & a real pain in the backside to restore to OME.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Somebody call me??

6. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

7. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

I learned, that after the fleshing, when you salt it, make sure that you proportionately stretch the cape back to shape. Stretch the neck from behind the ears down the neck to the brisket, and let it dry. Don't hang it over a rail or board to dry once you salt it. Let it lay flat on an angle to drain. Once I started doing this, I never had a problem with the giraffe neck syndrome.

8. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Beat me to it NJTrapper. I started doing the same thing and have noticed I don't have the problem of long necks. In fact I was going to ask on here if anyone else does the same and if it made a difference. From my experence it does.

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have hung mine over PVC for years after salting and never had that problem when they come back from the tannery. Are you getting them back dry tanned or wet? Maybe they are hanging them to dry.

10. Raynewolfe

Raynewolfe TY for understanding things outside our control.

lol.

11. Toeknee22

Toeknee22 New Member

Alum wet tan. Last year I sent 2 shipments to be tanned 1st one was normall and the rest have been extremely long necked just trying to figure it out thanks for all the input.

12. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I salt and hang on a stretcher to drip dry. No problems ( wildlife gallery synthetic dry tan)

13. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    Streching the capes wide before and when you salt them, makes a world of difference. And it doesn't matter how you hang them to dry the rest of the way.

14. Badgerland

Plz don't patronize him. It may go to his head.

15. Badgerland

When I salt my capes down they are laying on a frame with 1/2" metal mesh on an angle so air can circulate all around them.
    I do lay them out as open as I can. Truth is, once I stopped using YOST for tanning capes, my giraffe problems disappeared.