1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Short tailed weasel foot articulation.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Head Hunting Iowan, Jan 26, 2013.

1. So I bought a body awhile ago, its all cleaned up and ready to be re-assembled. I cant seem to find good feet pics on an image search, so am I putting this thing back together flat footed or do their toes arc like a cat? This is assuming I dont smash it into smaller pieces out of sheer frustration.

2. Weasels are digitigrade. Here's one photo I found in a Google image search:
    [​IMG]

3. AH7

AH7 New Member

Are the bones held together in partial ligaments or are you starting from separate bones. If the latter, good luck! That sounds really hard with such a small specimen. I certainly don't have the patience for that!

4. Thanks Alp, and it was macerated soooooo........patience lol.

5. Your insane... Absolutely.

I refuse to work on anything smaller than a coyote for that reason!

6. patience danyea son

7. actually...weasels r plantigrade, so their feet are basically flat. front feet may have a bit of a arch but not much. weasels, martens, minks, squirrels, ferrets, raccoons, bears, skunks, opossums, rodents, and even humans are all plantigrade. these animals technically have "hands" instead of paws so they can grip and hold things.

8. Sorry to disagree with you WolfGirl, but weasels, martens, minks, and ferrets are digitigrade. Here's another copy of the image I posted earlier with some labels to show how the foot bones are arranged. If the animal was plantigrade, the metacarpals and metatarsals would be flat on the ground. Weasels may put their heals to the ground in plantigrade position when they are sitting, or when they raise up on their hind legs, but never when they are in motion.
    [​IMG]

9. http://www.theanimalfiles.com/glossary/plantigrade.html
    https://sites.google.com/site/msyuescience2/chimeracharacteristics
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantigrade
    http://www.desertmuseum.org/books/nhsd_mustelids.php

10. Thanks for posting the links WolfGirl. I guess we need to get more specific and define our terms. The word "weasel" is often used ambiguously. Sometimes it is used to refer specifically to certain members of the genus Mustela, while at other times it is used more broadly to refer to all members of the family Mustelidae. The latter includes not only short-tailed weasels, but also badgers, wolverines, otters, minks, and ferrets. Badgers and wolverines are plantigrade. Short-tailed weasels (and other members of the genus Mustela) are digitigrade.

The first two pages you linked to would be more accurate if they replaced "weasels" with "some members of the weasel family." The third link on your list correctly identifies wolverines as being plantigrade, but does not mention weasels. The fourth link only mentions badgers and skunks as being plantigrade.

The terms digitigrade and plantigrade can also be somewhat ambiguous. In most cases the terms are use functionally to describe the posture of the foot in the living animal while standing, walking, running, etc. Some researchers apply the terms based on the anatomy of the foot (flex points, etc.), regardless of the posture in the living animal. Using the functional approach, an animal can be described variously as plantigrade or digitigrade depending on what it is doing. Humans are plantigrade when we walk, but sprinters assume a digitigrade posture when running on their toes.

Also, an animal can be plantigrade on the front feet and digitigrade on the hind feet. When a short-tailed weasel is standing, the carpals are nearly in contact with the ground (see photo above), and could be called plantigrade, or semiplantigrade. When it runs or walks (do weasels ever walk?), it is on its toes. A weasel's heel does not contact the ground when it is running, walking, or standing, unless it is standing only on its hind feet.

As interesting as this discussion may be, the precise definition of the terms digitigrade and plantigrade is not what's important when articulating a skeleton. To achieve a realistic pose, there is no substitute for studying reference photos, videos, and living animals.

11. Basically what they're trying to tell you, Head Hunting Iowan, is that you're never going to get that thing back together! ;)

12. heres a short tail weasel I did a while back but never finished. my damn cat knocked it off a table and broke some of it -.- I lost some toes on the foot that was still drying and the tail >.< I think she ate it or carried it off to a place unknown idk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its in a running possition, I had plans to make it carrying a rat.
    [​IMG]
    with the leg just laying how it was supposed to go.
    this projects on hold till I can get some replacement parts :/